Quarter panel:

bulldogchesty

Reaction score
I am still looking for a LR quarter panel for my 68 Newport. I could use all the help I can. If I can't find a decent one I'll have to bend a lot of metal.

There is a 68 Newport being parted by someone on Moparts, Guy is in Florida. Henry, 561 906 0480. Has a picture of the car on there. Worth a shot, John.

Thanks about the Newport. I saw it. I don,t have anywhere to keep it. I really don't want hime to cut off a panel for me. Maybe I'll go see it anyway.

What the hey Bulldog? Do an inspction and if it passes, Have green in your pocket and your saw-z-all and cut of wheel in your car and hack it where you want it hacked. JOHN A told you all you need to know about the present owner and that he's parting the car. Got a buddy with a pickup, itz ah win win. Or go to Lowe's or Home Depot and rent ah pickup for cheap after you get it cut off. Beatz the H*** out of paying shipping from Sandy, Oregon to the Bikini State. Thatz pushin' 3K milez + cost + crating If you haven't done the math or Mapquest!

I am still looking for a LR quarter panel for my 68 Newport. I could use all the help I can. If I can't find a decent one I'll have to bend a lot of metal.

You're replacing the entire thing? I thought you just had typical rust behind the rear tire?

I don't think this is typical rust. newport 039.jpgnewport 040.jpgnewport 041.jpg

newport 039.jpg

newport 040.jpg

newport 041.jpg

Yeah it isn't that bad. Still well below the lower body line.

This is what i did on a similar patch;

IMAG0962.jpgIMAG0964.jpgIMAG0965.jpgIMAG0996.jpg

All I had was snips, needle nose pliers to form the tucks, hammer and dolly set. Wasn't all that bad. Your situation and skill set just requires a couple patches rather than just one big one.

And, ordering a quarter panel still won't get you the trunk extension you need. you'll either have to cut that out of a donar car or make it yourself. and if you make it yourself, you may as well shoot for the outer skin too.

IMAG0962.jpg

IMAG0964.jpg

IMAG0965.jpg

IMAG0996.jpg

Last edited:
Damn that looks good. I can make the outer panel pieces. It's the inner structure pieces I'm worried about. I guess it just takes time. Thanks for the help. By the way, should I cut a bigger opening to get to the innards, and then re weld the panel on?

Damn that looks good. I can make the outer panel pieces. It's the inner structure pieces I'm worried about. I guess it just takes time. Thanks for the help. By the way, should I cut a bigger opening to get to the innards, and then re weld the panel on?

The inner piece is the easy one if you do not care about the factory bumps. The outer we cut from the upper portion of a front fender.

Different car...
2012-09-17_001.jpg

2012-09-23_001.jpg

Sometime you just need to get creative on what you make your patches from.

Alan

There is a 68 Newport being parted by someone on Moparts, Guy is in Florida. Henry, 561 906 0480. Has a picture of the car on there. Worth a shot, John.

I got an email from Henry. He said he took what he wanted from it. $450. I may have greasemonkeyguy come check it out with me.

Inner structure last. You'll need the access to plannish the weld on the body panel.

Oh and the final pic was actually the second patch welded in third patch made. First patch panel wasn't worth attaching, second patch came out great but welded and cleaned up like crap due to bad fit up, third patch had the proper look and fit up was much tighter. So don't think I can pull off a patch one off out of my arse... I get lucky, but I create that luck by not giving up.

Last edited:
Inner structure last. You'll need the access to plannish the weld on the body panel.

Oh and the final pic was actually the second patch welded in third patch made. First patch panel wasn't worth attaching, second patch came out great but welded and cleaned up like crap due to bad fit up, third patch had the proper look and fit up was much tighter. So don't think I can pull off a patch one off out of my arse... I get lucky, but I create that luck by not giving up.
How did you get in to weld the inner structure when you welded the outer panel first?

Also, let's say you want to form the roll of the patch panel from the flange. You make your flange on the patch however you do it, hammer and dolly, pliers, adjstable wrench, flanging tool etc.. Then you form your tucks in the flange, this will give you the curve you're looking for. Take a look at this video, at about 40-50 seconds he takes his metal to a pair of tucking forks, think needle nose pliers, he twists the metal rather than the pliers but the effect is the same a tuck is formed and the piece bows. Think if you had the rest of your panel with the flange and you did the same thing, you'd have curved the entire piece. Yes you have to hammer the tucks flat essentially shrinking the metal, yes some curve will come out of it, yes you will have to keep tucking and shrinking until you get the shape you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back