Question about Edelbrock carbs

Well, I'm glad this thread has kept going. I'm still having issues with my Edelbrock 750 cfm carb; but they are not serious enough to keep me from enjoying my car. After 4 or 5 heat waves this summer the last couple of days have been about 80 degrees and I've been driving my 67 300. The car doesn't run PERFECT but the carb issues are livable. I don't feel like spending a whole lot of money right now tracing down issues that might still exist if I changed carburetors.

Basically, I've got a surge at steady cruise speeds and occasionally I get a backfire through the carb. Anyway, in the future I'll explore these issues more thoroughly.

My 1406 runs well starts well little boggy at mid throttle but recently started running rich at idle to the point of leaving black soot marks on the driveway and blowing black. Thinking float or PO messed with the calibration as he supplied a calibration kit with the "Only used for a few hours" carb...

, I've got a surge at steady cruise speeds and occasionally I get a backfire through the carb

Sounds like a lean condition depending also on your vacuum advance. If it runs well at WOT it probably needs a little smaller dia on the top half of the metering rods, or you can file a little flat spot on the thicker part of the metering rods already in there to allow more fuel at cruise, it does not take much so go easy.

Back