Question about hood scoops, anybody put them on a C-Body and look good ??

There is "ram air" and there is "cold induction".
All ram air is cold induction.
All cold induction is not ram air.
Ram air inlets have to be in a positive pressure area.
If it is not and in a negative pressure air, it can't be ram air.

Hood scope(s) are functional items, for occasions where additional/extra cooling capacity is required.

Nothing to do with forcing air into the intake?

It has everything to do with forcing air into the intake. Some cars use them to combat ambient temp.

If it's ducted to the breather/carb yes. If not still allows cooler air into the engine bay and pushes hot air out

So IT DOES serve two purposes..... just needed to be clear

Oh, and I knew that but i couldnt resist

Yes, they serve a function(s). Otherwise, its just useless crap.

I'll let this horse rot ....

i have a 71 newport, i put a repo scoop from a 67 cornet on it. i think it adds alot to and otherwise big flat hood. the place that manuf them is in calf. i can get the name if you like

That looks badass! Perfect profile for such a wide square hood.

So, when I was a teen, and my Dad had a '71 300 coupe, I learned a trick that you could flip the top of the stock snorkel aircleaner upside down and get a 1/2 of opening all around. It still sealed over the air filter and you could close the hood no problem. The cool part, for a 17 yr old, was when you floored the car, the intake noise would set up a sympathetic vibration in the hood, so you got a loud moan and could see the hood jitter. It was way cool. Of course, when we had the car on a family trip towing a trailer and my Dad floored it to pass, he did not have the same appreciation of the effect that I did. Also, he got rather annoyed when the service station attendants (remember those?) would check the oil and say: "Uh, sir, do you know that your air-cleaner is upside down?"

I've always wondered what a 300 with an AIR GRABBER retrofit would look like. Might be fun. A shaker hood would probably be too much.

So, when I was a teen, and my Dad had a '71 300 coupe, I learned a trick that you could flip the top of the stock snorkel aircleaner upside down and get a 1/2 of opening all around. It still sealed over the air filter and you could close the hood no problem. The cool part, for a 17 yr old, was when you floored the car, the intake noise would set up a sympathetic vibration in the hood, so you got a loud moan and could see the hood jitter. It was way cool. Of course, when we had the car on a family trip towing a trailer and my Dad floored it to pass, he did not have the same appreciation of the effect that I did. Also, he got rather annoyed when the service station attendants (remember those?) would check the oil and say: "Uh, sir, do you know that your air-cleaner is upside down?"

Thumbs up!!! I used to do that with everything. Even the anemic 360 with 2-bbl throttle body on my dad's '90 Ram sounded great with the lid flipped over.

Me too on my Dad's 73 Gran Torino Sport .. 351C 4V .. it replicated the sound of a Mopar un-silenced breather

I'm guilty.......driving with open headers and slicks on the streets of Milwaukee in my youth. LOL!

This was a real thing for you younger guys

91063250_L.jpg

Back