Question about Stromberg 2 Barrel Carburetor

northeast eric

Reaction score
1966 polara 318 motor, Pulled the carb off and am in the process of cleaning it out. My question is: If you hold the two main jets up to a light should you be able to see thru them? I can blow compressed air thru them and get a very light stream. but when I hold them the main body assembly up to a shop light and look down into the jets no light. I don't want to pull the jets out because you need a special jet wrench tool and I don't want to damage the thread on the main body.

thanks.

Why don't you clean it up and put it back on the motor, fire it up and see how it runs before spending any more money on it.

66, I already cleaned it up. passages are blown out and good, just waiting on the rebuild kit to come in. from what I read these carbs are notorious for gumming up around the jets and in the tubes. I wanna do it once and do it right as opposed to tearing it apart 2 or 3 times. Ordered the tool from so-cal speed shop, a little pricey but it is genuine Stromberg. and if I come to a point where I no longer need the tool there should be no problem selling it considering a lot of the old flathead guys love running multiple Stromberg set ups.

That sounds great and I'm sure after the rebuild it will purr. Post up some pics of the rebuild if you can.

Back