Question about the exhaust, who knows this silencer?

Patryk

Reaction score
Hello, everyone,

I have fulfilled my dream and bought a 71 Polara.

Unfortunately, the exhaust system was a nightmare (different pipe diameters pieced together, very unpleasant droning in the interior at slightly above idle speed and also much too loud for our road regulations). The Flowmaster 40 Delta Flow was installed and the tailpipes were directly on the silencers, so they didn't go over the axle.

Now I have all the pipes new and the system goes up to the bumper over the axle.

At the moment I've installed the FM40 again for the time being, but I turned it around - the roar is almost gone, but it's still too loud for me.

Now I would like to install these silencers, have any of you ever heard them live and can tell me something about the sound? Link:
R27715 Rumble Silencieux 2,50" (63,5mm), M&F Online Store

Unfortunately I can't find any videos about it...

Are they much quieter than the Delta Flow 40?

Does it still sound like a V8 with the new dampers, or will it sound like a boring car?

I would be very grateful for tips and information.

Short info: I translated the text with Google, please don't be surprised if some nonsense came up

Best regards,
Patryk

Unfortunately I can't find any videos about it...
Go to YouTube and search "Magnaflow Rumble Muffler" and there are some videos. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=magnaflow+rumble+muffler

What you can do is add a simple and cheap glass pack muffler to the last part of the tail pipe. Basically in the same place the factory would put a resonator. I've done this to quiet down a noisy car. Like this: JEGS 30287: Glasspack Muffler [2.500 in. Inlet/Outlet] - JEGS High Performance You can usually find them in different sizes and lengths.

There are different levels of FlowMaster sound, with the "40" being the allegedly least restrictive and noisiest. I suspect the MagnaFlow should be much closer to what I would term "A V-8 burble" such that you know it's a V-8, but not objectionally so, as most Turbo-oriented mufflers usually provided. If all else fails, @Bg_John has a good suggestion that is easy to do and not too expensive. Even with the factory mufflers, Chrysler and others put "resonators" in the rear pipe section, basically beside the fuel tank, for additional noise control. When replacement time came for the rear pipe, most people opted for the "resonator delete" version of the rear pipe.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

That's the same design as a "Turbo" muffler. I've got Turbos on my 70 El Camino and a single Turbo on my 75 Dodge. Love the sound, not too mind numbing and no drone in either car at all. I agree with Big John, listen to Youtube then decide. If you go with Flowmaster, the larger the number the quiter the sound. Although, the larger the case some smaller pipe sizes disappear to.

I have used Magnaflow mufflers on a 440, dual exhaust. I liked the sound. Not super loud.

You could add the glass packs later, if necessary.

thank you very much for your reply. As already written: I like the sound of the Flowmaster 40 silencers, but in my case they are too loud and they boom in the interior, which is very unpleasant. I have currently inserted DB-Killer into the tailpipes, so the roar due to the higher dynamic pressure is no longer there and the system is a bit quieter overall. But: I choked him completely, which is also noticeable in the performance.

I tried removing the DB Killer j d inserted a perforated tube covered with wool instead. It's also quieter, but the overall sound has become duller, the beautiful typical Mopar sound is completely filtered out.

I have now ordered the Classic Rumble silencers, I will report on the result :)

A+ for Magnaflow, have one on my Subaru because it's a 5sp car, I need to hear the engine for starts, and for those times when you accidentally upshift into 3rd instead of 5th and you only notice by way of a pegged tach needle because the car is inaudible...

Sweet idle tone, never obnoxious on the gas, and most importantly no drone except maybe at idle, which I find comforting.

Back