Question about Turbochargers....

All good points, thank you.

I'm not looking for a 1,000 hp b block, I've seen the cars that look like they're smuggling a couple top secret engines out of Boeing. I want to run a couple turbos to compliment the build not cover up where I cheaped out. Believe it or not my problem has been trying to find turbos that are small enough. With my theoretical volumetric flow numbers all the units are topping out at 1300 HP or more. That's just dumb for what I'd like to build. Looking like I'm gonna have to run a single to stop some runaway mess. I'm not 100% sold on the idea of a turbo but the shorter blowers aren't stacking up either. I'll keep crunching numbers.

Someone mentioned K-cars having blowers, and I had never heard of that. My first car was an '85 Reliant K-car, God that would have been fun. Shoebox just screaming down the highway....
Yes, many K-cars had the 2.2L turbo motor. More about a modest increase in power than "screaming", by observation. That motor in that high-volume platform, for many years, made Chrysler the #1 volume producer of turbo-engined vehicles in the world, as I recall. At a time when it was believed that the max power a fwd powertrain could handle was 200 horsepower . . . which is where the power of most engines plateaued back then. Most rwd V-8s were in the 235 horsepower range, too. At the time, that was a good as it got and we suspected that was where power levels would stay so that emissions and mpg regulations could be met. BUT, as we all know, increased technology kicked in and the power levels rose to where they now are . . . with a full factory warranty included.

In the middle 1980s, there was a speed shop in Houston who ran two identical-engined Fix-body Mustangs for drag strip exhibition runs. One with a supercharger and one with a turbo. Both maxed-out, but the turbo made more power and always won the races between them. Now, these were full-out race cars, not upgraded stock cars. Because, back then, there was a question of whether turbos or superchargers made more power. In their case, the turbos won on that point. In everyday situations, the supercharger would win for its crisp throttle response as superchargers had no throttle lag as turbos did, even the OEM small ones.

One of our Mopar club guys had a fwd Daytona 2.2L turbo and a 5-speed. At that time, it could rival the famous "Ut oh, 5.0L" Mustang GTs, IF the people knew how to drive a turbo. Which meant getting the turbo spooled-up BEFORE it was time to start the race. Just driving it like a hot V-8 would mean the Turbo 2.2L car would be left behind every time, but with the turbo spooled-up just before the clutch was dropped, the Mustang driver would be seeing tail lights of the 2.2L turbo car, by observation. It was ALSO deceptively easy to modulate the 2.2L wastegate so that more boost would happen, which meant the 2.2L Turbo would be even farther ahead.

There used to be a whole Internet forum group "Turbo Dodges and Front-Drive Chryslers" (or similar), plus the Shelby Dodge Auto Club's online presence (which was about the GLHS Omnis and the fwd turbo cars which came after them). GM chose the Buick 3.8L Supercharged engine for its performance fwd and rwd performance engine, back then. It was about performance with few compromises other than about 2-3 less EPA Highway mpg being lost. Still, horsepower was in the 180 horsepower range, generally. It was a normal option engine in Buicks, Oldsmobiles, and Pontiac "sport models" for many years. But was seemingly forgotten about when the Turbo 3.8L Buick Regal variants hit the market for several years, which got everybody's attention with the CAR AND DRIVER road test at Michigan Intl Speedway on a 0 degree F day. Which was much more optimum for excellent turbo performance than a 85 degree F day, by observation. It put down some very impressive performance figures that COLD Michigan winter day. There were MANY curious things about those Turbo GN's equipment choices (including the Turbo 200-family automatic trans!), which were all about decreasing engine power consumption by powertrain issues. For better durability in drag racing uses, there were some transmission upgrades that were necessary, but nobody really cared as the drag strip performance (and performance in general) was so stellar. And then came the GNX after that. Suddenly, the two fastest USA production cars were the Buick GN (usually modified, although few would admit it, by observation) and newer Corvettes.

I suspect that ONE reason the bulk of the Buick GNs were black was to hide the "coach joint cracks" between where the quarter panel met the roof panel, at the rear top corner of the door window's corner. All of the "stock, not modified" (except by computer software!) GNs I saw that were raced a bit had those cracks from body flex under power. But then so did my '77 Camato Type LT 305 from just normal unibody body flex, although the GM rwd intermediates were frame/body cars.

Sorry for the length. Just some memories from those days of old.
CBODY67

As for turbo packaging, there were some Chevy Suburbans modified for anti-terrorist use which had turbos, but rather than put then close to the exhaust manifold exits, they put the turbos behind the rear wheels and ran piping to the engine from back there. Must have taken a bit to get the turbos spooled-up for max power, I suspect. BUT that added power had to lug around a much heavier vehicle due to its body armor additions, too. Not specifically about smoking those run-flat tires, but just moving the vehicle (and its occupants!) quickly away from sudden danger.

In modern times, it's about getting insane possible power out of very small engines. As the Ford EcoBoost seeks to do. When the EB pickups came out, they had a 3.5L V-6 that would match or best the gasoline V-8 vehicle's power and economy. BUT, as i recall hearing a Ford engineer talk about those engines, they were NOT just a turbo added to an existing engine, but a smaller engine with optimized-under-boost internal pieces (especially pistons/combustion chamber interfaces). Similarly, the current GM 4-cyl Silverado (standard base engine) has some tricks in the firing order and "Twin Volute Turbo Impeller) to get 275 horsepower out of that little 4cyl engine. Great technologies, but not inexpensive either, unless you do them "in volume". The EB plciups used to cost about $1K more than the similar gas motor vehicle to get ONE more EPA Highway mpg out of them. BUT that extra fuel economy ONLY happens if you use the cruise control or "keep your foot out of the turbo", I suspect.

Although the power the turbos ad would otherwise be exited heat energy from the engine's exhaust. It was usually about getting "large engine power" from a much smaller engine. In the current EcoBoost realm of things, it seems that the smaller 2.7L V-6 turbo, when modded, makes more horsepower than the similar 3.5L Turbo V-6 engine. Not sure how that happens!

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

As for turbo packaging, there were some Chevy Suburbans modified for anti-terrorist use which had turbos, but rather than put then close to the exhaust manifold exits, they put the turbos behind the rear wheels and ran piping to the engine from back there. Must have taken a bit to get the turbos spooled-up for max power, I suspect. BUT that added power had to lug around a much heavier vehicle due to its body armor additions, too. Not specifically about smoking those run-flat tires, but just moving the vehicle (and its occupants!) quickly away from sudden danger.

In modern times, it's about getting insane possible power out of very small engines. As the Ford EcoBoost seeks to do. When the EB pickups came out, they had a 3.5L V-6 that would match or best the gasoline V-8 vehicle's power and economy. BUT, as i recall hearing a Ford engineer talk about those engines, they were NOT just a turbo added to an existing engine, but a smaller engine with optimized-under-boost internal pieces (especially pistons/combustion chamber interfaces). Similarly, the current GM 4-cyl Silverado (standard base engine) has some tricks in the firing order and "Twin Volute Turbo Impeller) to get 275 horsepower out of that little 4cyl engine. Great technologies, but not inexpensive either, unless you do them "in volume". The EB plciups used to cost about $1K more than the similar gas motor vehicle to get ONE more EPA Highway mpg out of them. BUT that extra fuel economy ONLY happens if you use the cruise control or "keep your foot out of the turbo", I suspect.

Although the power the turbos ad would otherwise be exited heat energy from the engine's exhaust. It was usually about getting "large engine power" from a much smaller engine. In the current EcoBoost realm of things, it seems that the smaller 2.7L V-6 turbo, when modded, makes more horsepower than the similar 3.5L Turbo V-6 engine. Not sure how that happens!

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67
Yeah STS still makes the rear mount turbo kit, that kit was what got me thinking turbo in the first place. I was thinking mid-mount at the crossover and keeping all that heat in the WABAC (machine). I can't find any of STS's compressor maps anywhere so that kit went out the window.

That's the beauty of today, thousands of options. That's the terrible thing about today, thousands of options.

Back