Question - Hydraulic Floor Jack

But I still wouldn't stick my head under any Jack that comes from Horrible Freight. Just sayin'
Not without jack stands that also didn’t come from harbor freight.:stop:

I just skip to the lift.
I do have a old Sears jack, cleaned it still works if you want to change a tire.

I bought a 3 ton floor jack from Costco? probably 20 years ago, decent quality and will lift the front end of my cummins powered 4wd crewcab with little to no effort, but it does creep down slowly...been that way for 15 years now.

Anyway probably 10 years ago I thought I would replace it with a new unit and bought a nice 3 ton from our Canadian equivalent to HF...Princess Auto. Well the thing would barely lift the front of the wagon off the floor so thought it must be defective so brought it back, the long time employee that was helping me said that most new jacks are barely rated to lift even half of what they claim to be able to lift and advised me to just keep using my old floor jack.

I swear these discount places like H.F., Home Depot, Lowes etc. may sell name brands but they must be made to different, cheaper, specs. I’m skeptical of the Craftsmen brand now sold at Lowes. I’ve purchased better used stuff at garage sales. Recent tools purchased at my new Menards seem pretty rugged.

I swear these discount places like H.F., Home Depot, Lowes etc. may sell name brands but they must be made to different, cheaper, specs. I’m skeptical of the Craftsmen brand now sold at Lowes. I’ve purchased better used stuff at garage sales. Recent tools purchased at my new Menards seem pretty rugged.
I will always look for good used before buying the new disposable junk when looking for tools in most cases.

I will always look for good used before buying the new disposable junk when looking for tools in most cases.

I still use Dad’s 1/2” socket set he purchased in the early 60’s. Never cracked a socket and ratchet is better than any I’ve purchased in last 20 years.

Vintage S-K, Bonney or Industro tools out perform any hand tools made today. Craftsman tools are now made in china. I still have the S-K socket set I bought in high school and I still use it. I have broke a total of 1 S-K sockets and that was standing on the breaker bar.

Dave

If the wheels stay on while I do whatever needs being done, I.E. I'm not doing brakes, wheel bearings, suspension, I lean more towards cribbing blocks rather than jack stands. Super easy to make and nothing holds a car up like it's own suspension.

Like zo;

And this is why..

Cribbing blocks are the way to go for sure.... I may 3 sets of 4 a few years ago and have used them easily a hundred or more times, the stability alone is worth it...

Back