Question on ballast resistor

spstan

Reaction score
My limited understanding of a ballast resistor is that it reduces voltage across the 2 contacts and in the process produces heat. So I got a replacement resistor from Advanced Auto (Carquest brand) and used it for a while. Bought a NOS ballast resistor on EBay to replace it and noticed that the NOS resistor was a little thicker and a little longer than the Carquest resistor. I'm wondering if this small difference could effect performance. Paul

Unlikely I'd say without more info. When you say performance, what aspect are you referring to here- starting, idling, part-throttle or something else?

My limited understanding of a ballast resistor is that it reduces voltage across the 2 contacts and in the process produces heat. So I got a replacement resistor from Advanced Auto (Carquest brand) and used it for a while. Bought a NOS ballast resistor on EBay to replace it and noticed that the NOS resistor was a little thicker and a little longer than the Carquest resistor. I'm wondering if this small difference could effect performance. Paul
Short answer is no. As long as the resistance is the same, everything will perform the same. The new one was probably built to a cheaper price point and the NOS will be the one of choice only because it will probably handle the heat better and last longer. It does change that reduced current to heat and that is why it's a fairly robust ceramic housing.

400691236_348788060994233_1664331385061927247_n.jpg

Starting mostly. Paul
Since the ballast resistor is NOT used in the starting circuit, it won't make any difference there.

Note that the start position uses the circuit marked 14-PK and the run circuit uses 16-RE. Twist the key to start and the ballast is bypassed, release to run position and now the ballast is in the circuit.

image001.jpg

As long as it is rated the right ohms for your system it is fine. A ECU definitely have to be matched for best performance.

ECUApplication.jpg

ecuII.jpg

Back