Question on carburetor needle and seats

spstan

Reaction score
I'm coming to the end of the road on this issue , please bear with me. I rebuilt a Holley 4175 using a kit I bought on E-Bay. I've been having needle and seat issues . The fellow from Mike's Carburetor wants the number off the air horn before he sells me a needle and seat kit . I'm wondering if these needle and seat kits are specifically matched to the number on the air horn? I thought all I needed was the model number (4175 in this case) and then it was a generic needle and seat. Anyone? Paul

do you have your old needle and seats that you can compare the new ones to? What brand was the rebuild kit. I have never had an issue with the needle and seats in a Holley brand or AED kit. Usually if the kit is for multiple carb variants it will have the different part options.

I'm coming to the end of the road on this issue , please bear with me. I rebuilt a Holley 4175 using a kit I bought on E-Bay. I've been having needle and seat issues . The fellow from Mike's Carburetor wants the number off the air horn before he sells me a needle and seat kit . I'm wondering if these needle and seat kits are specifically matched to the number on the air horn? I thought all I needed was the model number (4175 in this case) and then it was a generic needle and seat. Anyone? Paul

The 4175 Holley was used on different vehicles and probably even on boats. A GM car might bring the fuel line in differently than a Dodge did or a boat might use a 3/8" line, different years, different applications etc.

In other words, it all has to match and fit together correctly.

IMHO, I would give kudos to the guy at Mike's carbs for asking the question so you get the right part. Think about how annoyed you'd be if they sent the wrong one.

When it comes to carbs, some things are generic, but a lot of things aren't.

Mikes carb is smart. He is making sure to get you the correct Parts. Holley had dash numbers on the air horn. How many have you seen? Like these
3310-1 down leg secondary boosters 780 cfm
3310-2 straight boosters 750 cfm
3310-3 now has plastic accessories on it. 750 cfm

Are the needle amd seats different? Maybe. So just give Mikes the numbers he wants and don’t second guess the pros.

I agree no reason to not give that number but I don't think I've ever seen a different needle?
And if you wanted to get to brass tacks he should be verifying it's the matching bowl and not some hack job :thumbsup:

Last edited:
True, how many times have you had someone argue with you over the internet, phone, email, etc, sayin the part doesn’t fit, when they are doing it wrong. Customer service is like herding cats sometimes.

Back