Questions about body and paint repair

Biggredd2069

Reaction score
Have a few different questions. Have a 68 Chrysler newport convertible. A while back my carburetor caught fire and bubbled my hood paint. It stayed intact for the most part but a repair shop recently let my car get vandalized and weathered. The paint finally came off. It's a pretty big spot, down to the bare metal. I put a temporary spray paint primer on it but it's thin and there is still a "step up" where the regular paint starts. Would I use a Bondo there? Or would layers of primer and paint bring that back up to the same level? I'm not a body repair guy so not really sure.

I have a very long deep scratch on the side from previous owner. Almost looks keyed but was from a Bush on his driveway. Hard to see in pic but clear as day up close. Should I sand it and Bondo there? Or would layers of printer and paint work? The car could use a new paint job but is serviceable for now.

And last there are some deep chips broken off around the door frames, and trunk. Would I just mold Bondo there and sand?

20190424_175306.jpg

20190929_113345.jpg

20190929_113349.jpg

the only good way to fix the hood would be to sand the whole thing down until it is even. if you take an old tooth brush and clean the wax residue out of the chips and scratches they won't stand out as much.

Bondo on the hood not a good idea. It will crack over ime from flexing.
I agree with 1970cat sand down the whole hood and smooth it out.
It is a large flat surface and not only can you see it when driving eveybody else see it.

Has the car been repainted somewhere in its prior life? Which could explain the build thickness on the hood, IF that's the issue. Get it all sanded down, then do a spot repair, BUT where the repair was done will probably be evident in a few years. From paint fade, even if it matches when repainted. So, repaint the whole hood and then blend the tops of the fenders to match. Or possibly extend the "blend area" to the door issues, too?

Nice color combination.

CBODY67

Yes, it was repainted years ago from previous owner. Under the hood looks a little burnt orange. Makes sense about the hood. Would you suggest Bondo on the door chips? I don't want any chips.

Yes, it was repainted years ago from previous owner. Under the hood looks a little burnt orange. Makes sense about the hood. Would you suggest Bondo on the door chips? I don't want any chips.
Pick a scab and it will bleed....
Again,sande down,build it up and blow in new paint to blend.
The repair areas will be double or triple the size of the chips now.
If you just want to fill them on,use touch up paint or nail polish.
To be honest, you have enough paint damage that may warrant a full repaint if you want it done right the first time.
Yet I can inderstand that can be expensive to do.

I guess my ultimate goal is to repair it for a future repaint. The paint is super thick. If I do a full repaint correctly will the car need to be sanded down to bare metal to fix all these chips? My thought was I fix (fill) these and get the chips smoothed out and then get it painted. If car needs to be sanded down anyways then my thought process changes about filling in these chips and I'll just keep them protected from rust until then.

In that case,use a spot putty not bondo to fill in the chips.
Build them up and smooth out.
Hope this helps.

Back