Questions related to Broadcast Sheet and Fender Tag coding

Clayboy

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
What - 1972 Dodge Polara Custom
References - online and an original 1972 Dodge Polara/Monaco Sales Brochure

M4L3 - appears on both my build sheet under Trim Code and the Fender Tag. I believe it corresponds to vinyl bucket seats with center arm rest, which my car has. According to the sales brochure, it was offered in Parchment, which is the color of my interior. Is this correct?

C54 - Speaking of interior, does this code correspond to the interior color?

C93 - I believe is for the carpeting. The carpet is original and dark tan/brownish - does this code also give you the carpet color? If so, what color is it referred as?

C96 and C97 - I believe this is the trunk dress up, to include tire cover. Both long gone. Can anyone share a picture of what this dress up looks like? Where can I get a replacement - either aftermarket or OEM/NOS/used?

D51 and D83 - I believe this is a 2.76:1 axle, standard for a 440 car, as well as a 8.75 HD. Does D83 also correspond to a Sure Grip? Before everyone says “jack the car up and spin the tires,“ I will, however, I want to know what all D83 is telling me.

HL4 - I believe this is the exterior color. Mine happens to be Eggshell White, however, I have found online “L4” corresponds to Desert Sand on a PPG paint chip book for 1972 Dodge. Is HL4 actually the exterior color code?

U - On my fender tag and I believe corresponds to “Build to Specs.” Does that mean my Polara was ordered vice purchased off the lot? I think the answer is yes based off the amount of optional equipment it has, to include a 440/4 (E85).

A lot of questions and I appreciate anyone who can share/pass on the most valuable thing you have - knowledge.

Thank you!

What - 1972 Dodge Polara Custom
References - online and an original 1972 Dodge Polara/Monaco Sales Brochure

M4L3 - appears on both my build sheet under Trim Code and the Fender Tag. I believe it corresponds to vinyl bucket seats with center arm rest, which my car has. According to the sales brochure, it was offered in Parchment, which is the color of my interior. Is this correct?
1668649133185.png
1668649213649.png

C54 - Speaking of interior, does this code correspond to the interior color?

C93 - I believe is for the carpeting. The carpet is original and dark tan/brownish - does this code also give you the carpet color? If so, what color is it referred as?

C96 and C97 - I believe this is the trunk dress up, to include tire cover. Both long gone. Can anyone share a picture of what this dress up looks like? Where can I get a replacement - either aftermarket or OEM/NOS/used?

D51 and D83 - I believe this is a 2.76:1 axle, standard for a 440 car, as well as a 8.75 HD. Does D83 also correspond to a Sure Grip? Before everyone says “jack the car up and spin the tires,“ I will, however, I want to know what all D83 is telling me.

HL4 - I believe this is the exterior color. Mine happens to be Eggshell White, however, I have found online “L4” corresponds to Desert Sand on a PPG paint chip book for 1972 Dodge. Is HL4 actually the exterior color code?

U - On my fender tag and I believe corresponds to “Build to Specs.” Does that mean my Polara was ordered vice purchased off the lot? I think the answer is yes based off the amount of optional equipment it has, to include a 440/4 (E85).
U is for Build to USA Specs
A lot of questions and I appreciate anyone who can share/pass on the most valuable thing you have - knowledge.

Thank you!
You should use this decoder or post a pic of your fender tag to get it decoded by someone here.

Good Luck.

I suspect that all or most of your questons can be answered in the "Library" of www.hamtramck-historical.com and the Order Guide and Color and Trim pages. LOTS of information on that website!

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Thank you!
Happy to decode for you if you post the fender tag and build sheet here. @69CoronetRT

Quick comment on the build sheet for DM43T2D240569: this is a lot of beige / tan (HL4 "Summer Sand" beige paint, V1T tan top, V5T tan rubber molding inserts, and M4L3 parchment interior)!

Is there a particular code you're interested in?

C54 - Speaking of interior, does this code correspond to the interior color? C54 = Split back bench seat/center console. This is the '4' in your M4 interior code.

C93 - I believe is for the carpeting. The carpet is original and dark tan/brownish - does this code also give you the carpet color? Yes to carpeting. No to color. Color is listed on line 6 fourth box from the left - L5 - on your Broadcast sheet.

D51 and D83 - I believe this is a 2.76:1 axle, standard for a 440 car, as well as a 8.75 HD. Does D83 also correspond to a Sure Grip? D5* tells you the gear ratio with D51 indicating 2.76 gears. D8* tells you which axle family came in the car. D83= 8.75 rear axle. D91 indicates Sure Grip. Your sheet does not indicate your car came with SG.

HL4 - I believe this is the exterior color. Mine happens to be Eggshell White, however, I have found online “L4” corresponds to Desert Sand on a PPG paint chip book for 1972 Dodge. Is HL4 actually the exterior color code? Yes. HL4 is the exterior color.

U - On my fender tag and I believe corresponds to “Build to Specs.” Does that mean my Polara was ordered vice purchased off the lot? I think the answer is yes based off the amount of optional equipment it has, to include a 440/4 (E85). U simply indicates it was built for sale in the US. This code has nothing to do with options or whether it was a sales bank or customer ordered car.

I see an unusual thing on the broadcast sheet. In Line 9, Section J "Miscellaneous Items" slot 9- "Instr Panel" has values 3 and 4 printed one above the other. What could that refer to?

@Clayboy — thank you for sharing the build sheet. One member who knows a lot about Mopar broadcast sheets (not I) tells me that the J9 box in your sheet, with the numbers 3 and 4 stacked, is the first time he’s ever seen anything like it.

In order to start resolving the meaning of the J9- slot's content, we need to:
- establish what instrument panels J93 and J94 look like;
- compare that to the instrument panel in @Clayboy's car.

Quick comment on the build sheet for DM43T2D240569: this is a lot of beige / tan (HL4 "Summer Sand" beige paint, V1T tan top, V5T tan rubber molding inserts, and M4L3 parchment interior)!

Thank you for the reply.

HL4 (or I guess L4) is a bit vexating for me. I have seen it referred to Summer Sand, Desert Sand, Parchment, Beige. Looking for something definitive. I get Plymouth, Chrysler, and Dodge had different names for the same color. I came across a 1972 Chrysler Passenger Care Color Reference Chart. Under the Monaco, Polara, Coronet, Charger column, it refers to L4 as Parchment, so that's what I am going with.

Forgot to mention, IRT "Is there a particular code you're interested in?" I think I have most decoded, I will have to go back through my notes.

C54 - Speaking of interior, does this code correspond to the interior color? C54 = Split back bench seat/center console. This is the '4' in your M4 interior code.

C93 - I believe is for the carpeting. The carpet is original and dark tan/brownish - does this code also give you the carpet color? Yes to carpeting. No to color. Color is listed on line 6 fourth box from the left - L5 - on your Broadcast sheet.

D51 and D83 - I believe this is a 2.76:1 axle, standard for a 440 car, as well as a 8.75 HD. Does D83 also correspond to a Sure Grip? D5* tells you the gear ratio with D51 indicating 2.76 gears. D8* tells you which axle family came in the car. D83= 8.75 rear axle. D91 indicates Sure Grip. Your sheet does not indicate your car came with SG.

HL4 - I believe this is the exterior color. Mine happens to be Eggshell White, however, I have found online “L4” corresponds to Desert Sand on a PPG paint chip book for 1972 Dodge. Is HL4 actually the exterior color code? Yes. HL4 is the exterior color.

U - On my fender tag and I believe corresponds to “Build to Specs.” Does that mean my Polara was ordered vice purchased off the lot? I think the answer is yes based off the amount of optional equipment it has, to include a 440/4 (E85). U simply indicates it was built for sale in the US. This code has nothing to do with options or whether it was a sales bank or customer ordered car.
Belay my Eggshell White, going with Parchment. Thank you!

I see an unusual thing on the broadcast sheet. In Line 9, Section J "Miscellaneous Items" slot 9- "Instr Panel" has values 3 and 4 printed one above the other. What could that refer to?
IDK.

@Clayboy — thank you for sharing the build sheet. One member who knows a lot about Mopar broadcast sheets (not I) tells me that the J9 box in your sheet, with the numbers 3 and 4 stacked, is the first time he’s ever seen anything like it.
So, I guess I have that going for me. When I get a chance, I will post a pic of the instrument panel. Thank you.

Is there a way to decipher lines 3 through 6?

Thank you again!

Yes, but it takes some research and homework. Those codes are the heart of the matter for the sheet. They indicate specific components or assemblies necessary to complete this specific car.

Depending on the where it is and what the code is referring to, it is either the last two (RAD 56) or thee digits (TRANS 868) of a specific part number OR an assembly number (AXLE 187). Codes like L3, L4 and L5 refer to the color of a component like the steering column, steering wheel or horn pad. There are some letter sales codes too (V01 and Y23) you should be able to find through normal decode sources. CP5 indicates the ride hight or where to set the front torsion bars for particular application. TIME indicates when the sheet was printed.

Back