Rack and pinion??

Moose440

Reaction score
I have a 1968 Newport I have another thread going about a 5 speed conversion as well. Dose anyone know is there a rack and pinion conversion with out doing the insane magnaforce set up.

I'm interested in this also. As I could use more room for my oil pan on my V10 conversion.

I would imagine that would require different K frame and suspension .

I suspect y'all are concerned about "space", but there is an engineering reason for Chrysler's being "rear steer" (steering linkage behind the front wheels) rather thanb "front steer" (steering linkage in front of the front wheels). On a sealed and smooth concrete floor, notice that when a rear steer Chrysler product turns a corner, you hear very little tire squal . . . but on a front steer GM car, you hear all kinds of complaints from the front tires doing the same turn. Why? On the rear steer vehicles, the Ackerman angles of the front wheels (in a turn) are much more correct than they are in a front steer vehicle. The one upside of a front steer vehicle is that whenever the tires are turned from straight, they want to slip and therefore generate cornering forces that can result in better transient steering response . . . as the tires are in "slippage mode" sooner.

I can also say that I like driving a rear steer 1977 Corvette better than my front steer 1977 Camaro LT F41, as to the higher accuracy of the steering.

FWIW,
CBODY67

Back