Radiator Overheat.

What type of water pump did you go with, just a stock replacement or some "high flow" unit? Also the serpentine system does it state if it over/under drives the water pump and alternator?
And is the serp. driving the pump backwards? There could be a mismatch of parts.

Last edited:
I suspect THIS is your PROBLEM bro! Try this one: 22″ Mopar BIG BLOCK HD Aluminum Radiator
Bought an $896 Griffin Radiator which was mis-manufactured, wrong brackets, which because I polished the top, they refused to fix the bracket. Long story except to say STAY AWAY FROM GRIFFIN RADIATOR! They have the customer service of a skunk in a chicken house!

Bought an $896 Griffin Radiator which was mis-manufactured, wrong brackets, which because I polished the top, they refused to fix the bracket. Long story except to say STAY AWAY FROM GRIFFIN RADIATOR! They have the customer service of a skunk in a chicken house!

I always considered them to be WAY overpriced, and note MANY of them on the resale market after short trials. Also, 3 rows of narrow tubes with an inferior conductor like aluminum is poor design. One CAN design a GREAT aluminum radiator, by making larger tubes, but that isn't what you bought.

You likely should revert to a standard coolant pump direction also. Cooling the heads first does well for short term uses in racing, but might short change the cylinder block at low revs, long term, in hot urban traffic such as Phx in early July. I admit I'm merely speculating, but for a daily driver like mine, I wouldn't DARE try a serpentine belt setup.

if the flat side of the belt turns the water pump it spins reverse of the factory pump. reverse pump might require a special housing. easy enough to check.

I'd thoroughly consider every aspect of a reverse flow system before investing in so much as a bolt toward one. I know racers like to cool their heads first, but many racing innovations DO NOT adapt well for slugging around on city streets.

Bought as a unit; bracket with a/c, power steering pump and alternator and water pump??

This in NO WAY PRECLUDES it being WRONG FOR YOUR ENGINE!! Of COURSE the vendors will bundle a UNIT, AND SELL IT TO YOU FOR GREATER PROFIT WHICH IS THEIR SOLE MOTIVE!!! Be WARY of LOGICAL FALLACY HERE!

The only design consideration you've shown us regarding this unit is that the vendors wanted customers to buy their product. They made it MORE APPEALING by anticipating the normal difficulties with transforming a V belt accessory system to their serpentine accessory PRODUCT. The vendors DIDN'T CONSIDER THE IMPACT THIS PRODUCT MIGHT HAVE ON YOUR ENGINE OPERATING IN A HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT SUCH AS PHOENIX ARIZONA IN JULY AT RUSH HOUR!

I HOPE I'm WRONG, but you MIGHT have purchased and installed the means to utterly ruin that engine if you're not careful. That Griffin radiator by itself goes a fair way toward that.

Don't think that could be a problem give it was bought as a unit; bracket with a/c, power steering pump and alternator and water pump??
You are having a large overheating issue so anything in the system, new or old, is suspect.

I'd thoroughly consider every aspect of a reverse flow system before investing in so much as a bolt toward one.
we actually don't know yet what type of system this is. both types are available with serp. belts. single belt is reverse, multiple belt normal. even if the pump is reverse rotation, the housing accounts for it and the coolant flows normally.

if the flat side of the belt turns the water pump it spins reverse of the factory pump. reverse pump might require a special housing. easy enough to check.
Seems to me that there would be reverse water pump and/or housing for reverse direction marine engines.

Just thinking out loud... No idea if they have that or not.

i'll ask you this, does the heater core act as a by-pass on his engine? i see that it's an Arizona car. maybe the core's not hooked up but needs to be.
No, I've run a lot of big block Mopars with heater hoses looped or even the outlets plugged and no difference.

In fact, I use a small ball valve on heater hose of my 300 to limit the hot coolant from circulating through the heater box, which lets my AC blow a little colder (in theory anyway LOL)

Of course, the redneck survival manual will tell you to run the heater to cool down an overheating car. Been there, done that.

we actually don't know yet what type of system this is. both types are available with serp. belts. single belt is reverse, multiple belt normal. even if the pump is reverse rotation, the housing accounts for it and the coolant flows normally.

AH, THANK YOU for THAT clarification! Let us pray for the OP that he isn't attempting reverse flow w a street car. I thought about it some yrs ago, but I looked into things, and decided it wasn't right for a family ride.

This in NO WAY PRECLUDES it being WRONG FOR YOUR ENGINE!! Of COURSE the vendors will bundle a UNIT, AND SELL IT TO YOU FOR GREATER PROFIT WHICH IS THEIR SOLE MOTIVE!!! Be WARY of LOGICAL FALLACY HERE!

The only design consideration you've shown us regarding this unit is that the vendors wanted customers to buy their product. They made it MORE APPEALING by anticipating the normal difficulties with transforming a V belt accessory system to their serpentine accessory PRODUCT. The vendors DIDN'T CONSIDER THE IMPACT THIS PRODUCT MIGHT HAVE ON YOUR ENGINE OPERATING IN A HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT SUCH AS PHOENIX ARIZONA IN JULY AT RUSH HOUR!

I HOPE I'm WRONG, but you MIGHT have purchased and installed the means to utterly ruin that engine if you're not careful. That Griffin radiator by itself goes a fair way toward that.
If Griffin’s radiator proves to be as good as their customer service, I’m screwed!

i'll ask you this, does the heater core act as a by-pass on his engine? i see that it's an Arizona car. maybe the core's not hooked up but needs to be.
Absolutely everything in the system is new. Everything.

AH, THANK YOU for THAT clarification! Let us pray for the OP that he isn't attempting reverse flow w a street car. I thought about it some yrs ago, but I looked into things, and decided it wasn't right for a family ride.
No reverse flow, first thing checked.

Back