Rare 1972 Imperial restoration!

I would give the old paint a good Comet cleaner wash, then polish multiple stages too see how it turns out. I have done a few old faded paints to a nice shine.

I would give the old paint a good Comet cleaner wash, then polish multiple stages too see how it turns out. I have done a few old faded paints to a nice shine.
I agree. That’s what I did on my old Newport after it sat 30 years. Worked great for that car. As far as the Imperial goes the paint is really rough in some spots. And the Previous owner got overspray on the quarter panel from the “bodywork” he did and there’s some rust that still needs fixed on the fenders. I’m starting to lean more towards keeping the original color. But it’s definitely gonna need a respray

Hello everyone I have another Imp update. A local derby guy down the road has this 73. I’m gonna try to buy it as a parts car does anyone know if the 73 front bumpers will fit a 72 without any modification?
Also I’ve read conflicting things does the 73 have the 5x4.5 bolt pattern or the older 5x5 bolt pattern
Thanks
-Josh

IMG_4080.jpeg
IMG_4082.jpeg
IMG_4083.jpeg

Last edited:
The 73 can be viewed as a face lift to use a modern term. Structural things are the same, just very few minor changes have been made (e.g. different grille, different trail light lenses, better sounds deadening/ insulation for 73. The all new chromoter clock).
So 5x5 bolt pattern is still valid ( these parts are very rare and definitely a keeper) bumper assembly is the same front and rear.

As the owner of 2 72s and a 73 I can say that there are many significant mechanical differences even though they are very similar. The differences are mostly engine and emissions related.

The bumpers are “high and tight” on the 72 and they are “down and out” on a 73. I am not sure where the differences are but have a feeling it’s in the bumper brackets.

How rotten is the derby Imperial? Looks like it is a solid car.
It’s really far gone. Pretty much no floors left, drivers fender is junk, rear bumpers junk passenger 1/4 panel is bad where it meets the roof (you can see into the trunk) and of course the roof itself is rough, supposedly the subframe is good, but I didn’t check also no title or trans. if it at least had a title I would say it’s worth putting floors in and getting running and driving…

Last edited:
The bumpers are “high and tight” on the 72 and they are “down and out” on a 73. I am not sure where the differences are but have a feeling it’s in the bumper brackets.

Wow I didn't know that, I figure it's good to have them next to each other. That reveals some finer details that are different. I also reckon that you're right concerning the emission stuff...

Back