Rear axle leak/resealing

You can change the inner and repack the bearing with grease, put a little rtv on the retainer before you slide it in the rest.of the way. You will get away with not having to do the miserable job for a while, you will have to do it eventually.

Ok. I will be trying my best til i figure out how i can diy change the bearings. Maybe that gives a reason to buy a new tool (or convice the wife that it needs a workbench on our balcony) ha ha ha!

Ok. I will be trying my best til i figure out how i can diy change the bearings. Maybe that gives a reason to buy a new tool (or convice the wife that it needs a workbench on our balcony) ha ha ha!

Napa only charges about $10 to press them on. Trying to do this job without the right tools can result in a ruined axle.

Dave

Napa only charges about $10 to press them on. Trying to do this job without the right tools can result in a ruined axle.

Dave
Look, while i believe that might be, around here most everyone in automotive stores like that have no clue what they are doing and they would mess up more than when i do this myself. I mean, its io the point where i even want to get the tools to change and rotate my own tires.

Look, while i believe that might be, around here most everyone in automotive stores like that have no clue what they are doing and they would mess up more than when i do this myself. I mean, its io the point where i even want to get the tools to change and rotate my own tires.
Don't think automotive stores... Think automotive machine shops. The kind of place where you would take an engine block to be machined.

Example in your area (no other knowledge about them etc.) Diesel Repair | Sand Blasting | Bearings | Tigard, OR

A few NAPA stores have machine shops, but most don't. There was one here, but it closed years ago.

Don't think automotive stores... Think automotive machine shops. The kind of place where you would take an engine block to be machined.

Example in your area (no other knowledge about them etc.) Diesel Repair | Sand Blasting | Bearings | Tigard, OR

A few NAPA stores have machine shops, but most don't. There was one here, but it closed years ago.

Ahhhhh. I see.... Yeah okay I have a transmission shop "around the corner". They probably do that stuff too.

Ahhhhh. I see.... Yeah okay I have a transmission shop "around the corner". They probably do that stuff too.
I have followed this thread and Big John has this figured right. Cost wise Doctor Diff is the way to go. Cost w/ shipping for the bearing kit is about 75.00 w/ shipping. This will allow you to install the preferred green style bearings. Bang for the buck this is the way to go. Do both sides and this will be a slam dunk fool proof repair. Did this repair 2years ago w/ no problems. If you proceed w/ this repair a tip, Measure the distance from axle housing to the axle sealinside the axle tube w/ the axle out and write it down. That will locate the seal where it belongs. I think you know the brake shoes need replaced and the drums and backing plates clean. Good luck. If you have any trouble, post it here w/ photos and I'll help you out.

I was wondering when "Green" ball bearings were going to get brought up. BTW, Green is the MFG name.

I don't want to get into a big debate on them, so I'll simply state that I'm not a fan for these reasons... IMHO, they aren't designed to take the side load that the OE style tapered roller bearing can. The only advantage that I see is they are a few bucks cheaper and they eliminate the adjuster. In a heavy car, like a C-body, used on the street, I am of the opinion that the OE style is superior and there is no question, even among Green bearing fans, that they will work well in that application.

The Green ball bearing started being used when drag racing guys started running spools with no thrust block in the center, thus no way for the tapered bearings to be adjusted.

ALL the NAPAs around me have eliminated their machining ability's, they just weren't busy enough anymore.
I had a local guy do the pressing for me . Was about $130.00 for two axles .

ALL the NAPAs around me have eliminated their machining ability's, they just weren't busy enough anymore.
I had a local guy do the pressing for me . Was about $130.00 for two axles .
Thats about the price for a 12 ton harbor freight press :D

Thats about the price for a 12 ton harbor freight press :D

Yes, but you also have to have the right bits and pieces to press the new bearing on.

You won't be pressing the old off... You have to chisel or cut it off. That would be why Dave paid $130 for two axles. Pressing the new bearings on was probably $30, the other $100 was for the hour spent cutting the old bearings off.

I use National bearings and seals from Advance Auto Parts and never had a failure in 40 years.

Not hard to find an axle and bearing shop within 100 miles to press axle bearings on and off.

Just thinking out loud... A chest freezer for the axle and a hot oven would put that retainer on without a press... Somebody else can do the math... but I'll bet that heating the ring to 250 degrees F would do the job nicely over an axle that spent the night in the freezer. .. That temp wouldn't hurt anything.

Just saying...

Back