Rear axle leak

Reaction score
hi all. I discovered my rear axle seals are leaking bad on the right side of my 68 fury. I'm guessing I have to deal with the bearing adjustment when I take it apart?

It's no big deal to adjust it.

I'd change the other side too.

The other thing to check while you are at it is the vent for the rear axle. These sometime plug over time and will cause an oil leak because pressure builds up in the housing as the assembly warms up. If the vent is plugged, the oil is forced out thru one or the other of the bearings. If the brake linings are oil soaked, they will need to be replaced. I would suggest jacking up the car to see if the bearings are out of adjustment before pulling everything apart as this helps make the diagnostics easier. If you have a noise coming from the bearings, odds are one or both is failing.

Dave

Also keep in mind that these old Mopars have packed wheel bearings on the rear, so as you disassemble and inspect, be sure to repack the bearings old or new with wheel bearing grease. FSM covers that as well.

Dave

Or swap out to the 2nd generation green bearings. Either way is perfectly acceptable.

Note that with the other axle removed that removes the tension from the bearing, pull it out for inspection.

Dave

Make sure you put real Timken bearings in, would not want to see you have to do it again in a couple of years.

I adjusted the bearings and it seemed to take up a lot of play in the bearings. I took out the right side first and the left side. I cleaned them and looked at them and they seem to look ok but I did see a cut in the bearing race on the left side.

5BB9CFB9-9F87-4372-BC46-103406AA988C.jpeg

I adjusted the bearings and it seemed to take up a lot of play in the bearings. I took out the right side first and the left side. I cleaned them and looked at them and they seem to look ok but I did see a cut in the bearing race on the left side.

View attachment 316763
Wow! Never saw that happen!

The bearing races are hardened and that's a crack. No going back for that one... It needs to be replaced.

View attachment 316763

Check the bearing seat in the housing for gouges. It is all but impossible for the outer race to break unless there is something bad wrong with its seat.

Dave

Those look like machining marks as opposed to scoring, so it probably is ok. In a perfect world, you could mic the seat to see if it is the same as the other side, but it does not look scored to me.

Dave

Back