Rear shock support frame (68 fury 3 fast top)

Reaction score
So over the weekend last week I went off a curb. Nothing crazy but the car backend dropped and popped back up and driving it home it got a bit bouncy started looking a found this is there anyway to fix this or reinforce it or can this whole piece be removed and replaced?

99130431-7010-4B73-A5A1-884FE6E5F4A4.jpeg

22FFB732-C54A-4829-9A19-DCD3D1CA842A.jpeg

1D36B0BB-2BAA-4882-9238-E300E2D6E93E.jpeg

Air shock or shock w/coil spring type damage.

If you have something like that on there, the first thing to do is remove them and throw in the trash.

The cracked area needs to be pulled back together and a good welder can weld a fish plate over the cracks. If the person welding it goes "Huh?" when you saw "fish plate", find another person to weld it.

attachment.jpg

without seeing the whole crossmember to see if there are any more issues i think that can be straightened and welded up with no problems...however what concerns me would be why it broke...maybe the car is lowered too much and the rear shocks are too long? the suspension should hit the snubbers above the axle before any direct force is applied to the shock crossmember

Possibly a bit of truth that while CA might not be Ohio, "salt" still rusts things. Rather than by road splash, by the generally saltier air near the coast, by observation.

Air shock or shock w/coil spring type damage.

If you have something like that on there, the first thing to do is remove them and throw in the trash.

The cracked area needs to be pulled back together and a good welder can weld a fish plate over the cracks. If the person welding it goes "Huh?" when you saw "fish plate", find another person to weld it.

View attachment 598969
I have adjustable shocks on it

I have adjustable shocks on it
For that kind of damage, the shocks must have bottomed out or the car previously had air shocks and you've just opened up the old damage.

Regardless, the way to fix is weld with fish plate. Probably best to drop the gas tank for safety and better access to the crossmember. If the welder can get up there OK, you might not need to pull the rear end to access the area. Clean up the area for the welder to do their job might save a couple bucks.

The other option is to find another crossmember and have that welded in, but that's a lot more involved.

What brand adjustable shocks? Length, both collapsed and extended, makes a huge difference.

Better check the pinion snubber, in addition to the side bumpers to keep this from happening again.

For that kind of damage, the shocks must have bottomed out or the car previously had air shocks and you've just opened up the old damage.

Regardless, the way to fix is weld with fish plate. Probably best to drop the gas tank for safety and better access to the crossmember. If the welder can get up there OK, you might not need to pull the rear end to access the area. Clean up the area for the welder to do their job might save a couple bucks.

The other option is to find another crossmember and have that welded in, but that's a lot more involved.

What brand adjustable shocks? Length, both collapsed and extended, makes a huge difference.
Please enlighten me, how would air shocks cause this type of damage?

Please enlighten me, how would air shocks cause this type of damage?
That portion of the frame isn't designed or meant to support any load.

Years ago, I bought a '69 340 Dart once real cheap because the air shocks had ripped the mounts up.

Back