Rear Wheel Opening Trim Piece

bellnygeeen

Reaction score
03-31-10_03b.jpg
03-31-10_03c.jpg
03-31-10_03b.jpg
NOS MoPar 1965 1966 Chrysler New Yorker Wheel Opening Finish Panel trim 2526447 | eBay
Anyone familiar with this part? I don't recall seeing it listed anywhere.

That appears to be the trim panel for the left side skirt for a '66 New Yorker. I used to have one or two of these NOS but believe that I sold them to Murray Park a few years ago. There is a thin molding that runs across the top of this molding. 66 New Yorkers had this type of trim along the bottom edge of the cars from behind the front wheel opening all the way back to the rear bumper. I have some nice used trim pieces that run along the rocker panel if anyone needs them. Could bring them to Carlisle but I am leaving on 7/10 for Carlisle.

That appears to be the trim panel for the left side skirt for a '66 New Yorker. I used to have one or two of these NOS but believe that I sold them to Murray Park a few years ago. There is a thin molding that runs across the top of this molding. 66 New Yorkers had this type of trim along the bottom edge of the cars from behind the front wheel opening all the way back to the rear bumper. I have some nice used trim pieces that run along the rocker panel if anyone needs them. Could bring them to Carlisle but I am leaving on 7/10 for Carlisle.
Thanks for the info FURYGT. Do the trim pieces delete the use of the rear wheel skirts? I've never been a fan of the rear skirt look and have wondered if there was another option for the rear wheel wells.

Chryslers from '65-'68 were designed to be "rear skirt cars". The skirts were part of the deal, NOT optional as on some other cars. Any side moldings on the fender, doors, quarter panel were also on the fender skirts. As a result, no rear wheel opening moldings existed to replace the skirts, that I'm aware of, from Chrysler.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Perhaps the reason the New Yorkers got that wide stainless molding, as the Newports and 300s got thinner chrome strips, was for rock chip protection of the lower rocker, door, and quarter panels? As rock chips down there seldom received touch-up paint and rust could become an exterior issue in areas where corrosive substances were used in the winter months on snow/ice covered roads? One more reason to buy that upscale New Yorker!

CBODY67

Perhaps the reason the New Yorkers got that wide stainless molding, as the Newports and 300s got thinner chrome strips, was for rock chip protection of the lower rocker, door, and quarter panels? As rock chips down there seldom received touch-up paint and rust could become an exterior issue in areas where corrosive substances were used in the winter months on snow/ice covered roads? One more reason to buy that upscale New Yorker!

CBODY67
I think the New Yorker chrome trim was just a design element for the upscale model. The rock chip protection would have been an unintended bonus, in my opinion.

Has anyone seen a custom skirt to expose more of the rear wheels? I suppose the stock skirts could be cut down for that purpose, but I'm sure its more involved than just that. I thought that a wooden copy could be made to fill the mounting space that the skirts need to attach to the car and finished to best match the paint.

Back