Rebuilding quarter window rollers

Verse

Reaction score
I decided to attempt to rebuild my seized window rollers. I was not difficult at all.
Mount the assembly in a vise, but make sure the rollers are above the jaws. They protrude past a little.

IMG_0999.JPG

Pull up the spring clips to release the rollers. Try to not go past the flat spring. Push the rollers out.

IMG_0990.JPG

IMG_0991.JPG

File both sides of the roller mating surfaces smooth

IMG_0992.JPG

Cut both sides of the rollers with sandpaper on a flat surface. If you look closely, you can see what is happening. The roller extrudes over time and causes it to seize. Continue to cut until the roller slips in easily. Finish with fine paper.

IMG_0993.JPG

Clean everythingup. Insert rollers, line up the holes, and push the spring clip back in. Bend the flat spring back down.

IMG_0995.JPG
IMG_0997.JPG
IMG_0998.JPG

It won't look perfect, but it will work well. I rebuilt all the different style of roller assemblies.

did you apply any grease or silicone spray to the rollers?
I'm in the process of having mine done.

No lube is needed for the rollers as they are plastic.
I am of the mind to apply no grease anywhere on the window mechanisms. It attracts dust and becomes a stiff mess.
i don't like silicone. It promises so much at first, but becomes gummy over time.
Laurence.

No lube is needed for the rollers as they are plastic.
I am of the mind to apply no grease anywhere on the window mechanisms. It attracts dust and becomes a stiff mess.
i don't like silicone. It promises so much at first, but becomes gummy over time.
Laurence.

Ok.
last question, did you find any flocking material on the rearward guide track (Stabilizer Channel) to absorb the rattling on the back of the 1/4 glass?
upload_2019-3-9_16-45-15.png

I dont have flocked tracks in my quarters. I am getting some for the door windows. Has not arrived yet.

Back