Recasting steering wheel options

Reaction score
I've been looking at getting my tilt/tele steering wheel repaired/recast on my '68 Imperial for some time now. I do understand that Dennis Crooks at Quality Restorations is probably the best out there. However, he is also likely the most expensive. I was quoted $2300. This, I cannot totally justify given its about 10% the value of the entire vehicle! So, I was looking to see if there are some other options out there that are still good, but not nearly as pricey. Anyone have any sources?

-Gregg B.

I have mine send to D & D Automobilia to be recast. It is the only option when you want to keep the translucency. I'm paying $2200 there.
One thing to also consider is, that he has a VERY long waiting list. I've send my steering wheel to D&D 18 month ago and still don't have it back..!

I also talked to The Steering Wheel Guy in Edmonton Alberta back then. He does fantastic work, but does not recast. He repairs and wraps the original wheel with carbon fiber and then paints it.
His work looks amazing, but the downside for me was, that it's not translucent anymore afterwards. He asked $1500 to do mine.

It's a big expense, yes. Especially when your steering wheel is in perfect shape.
The only reason I did it, is the horrible smell of vomit, the degrading plastic produces. It was worth it to me.

Before and after, $300! What can I say!

DB980F94-FA32-40C6-B51F-3E554B5E212C.jpeg

5CD553DA-FAA8-464E-B688-8B74B40047D5.jpeg

798B213F-8683-469D-9B4B-C506FB123B93.jpeg

Just an idea-If your steering wheels in perfect shape, you could clean it very good and then have a body shop give it a clear coat and polish.

Yeah...it's not in that great of shape, as it has a couple prominent cracks. No pieces are missing though. It is one of those clear/translucent wheels in a gold/amber color, so I have the feeling I'm relegated to the most expensive options to restore it.

What materials did you use to patch? Looks good.
Material? I have discovered that the best material is to let the person you hire choose the material. The steering was done by the same person who painted the car. When he saw the wheel he said “ I can fix that for you” and what you see is what he did. This was after I bought a wooden walnut wheel, took off the cheap finish, stained it and put on nine coats of hand rubbed tung oil only to have it now stand on a shelf in my study.

I've been looking at getting my tilt/tele steering wheel repaired/recast on my '68 Imperial for some time now. I do understand that Dennis Crooks at Quality Restorations is probably the best out there. However, he is also likely the most expensive. I was quoted $2300. This, I cannot totally justify given its about 10% the value of the entire vehicle! So, I was looking to see if there are some other options out there that are still good, but not nearly as pricey. Anyone have any sources?

-Gregg B.
I repaired mine with JB weld and body filler. I think it came out good so far. Only primer at this point. Hope to paint it body color thurs.

I repaired mine with JB weld and body filler. I think it came out good so far. Only primer at this point. Hope to paint it body color thurs.
Mine is a gold translucent material...kind of looks like amber. So, filling with JB Weld and painting is not an option.

Back