recommendations for front shocks, preferably HD

marko

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
looking for suggestions for replacing the the front shocks in my 78 Salon which has the heavy duty & trailer tow pkgs.
ive sourced the proper rear air shocks ( the car has rear height control) but am now looking for fronts....
tx in advance,
mark

looking for suggestions for replacing the the front shocks in my 78 Salon which has the heavy duty & trailer tow pkgs.
ive sourced the proper rear air shocks ( the car has rear height control) but am now looking for fronts....
tx in advance,
mark

I just installed four KYB shocks on my '66 300 coupe. I am amazed at how much more controlled the ride is now. And the car just seems to drive noticeably netter than before.

I installed KYB Gas Adjust also all way round on my 69 Fury and love them.

Well, Damn. Now I feel like a sucker for buying OEM Monroe's all these years. I have known of the KYB's, but never splurged. Next time. New Monroe's are always better than the old one's! And cheap. They do the job.

Well, Damn. Now I feel like a sucker for buying OEM Monroe's all these years. I have known of the KYB's, but never splurged. Next time. New Monroe's are always better than the old one's! And cheap. They do the job.

I splurged heavy and went the Bilstein route on mine. Certainly unnecessary since it lost its C body ride but it handles in the curves like I need it to ( i hate to slow down ).
Your Monroes are probably the best real choice.

I'm disagreeing only on the Monroe part Dave. I couldn't afford Bilsteins.

I had Monroe's on my '67 LeBaron. Went with the KYB's. Waaaaay better.

Got mine here,
https://www.shockwarehouse.com/mscl...kwarehouse.comutm_content=sem20branded20-20em

Perhaps my statement wasn't clear. The Bilstein shock i believe is the extreme on the unforgiving scale. The Monroes will give you the best C body ride. Soft, comfort, stability. The KYB is between the two.

Disclaimer : I reserve the right to change my opinion at any time day or night depending on the mood I'm in. :lol:

You didn’t state the price range you were looking into. My choice is not cheap, but it is among the best. A genuine Chrysler ride, soft, supple, but lasts for-ever, unlike the OEM Oriflows.

A modified pair of Konis. Just a sample:
CAC10AA7-C548-44DA-9815-AF2221AEE5C7.jpeg
F992CC03-FCFC-47EC-BEA2-309ED4236B67.jpeg

Koni part #80-1011.

since it lost its C body ride

That was another consideration I should have mentioned. I'll never forget the sweetest, lucky corner I ever hit. Heading west on Argyll, turning left onto 75th Street. Intersection wide open. Driving a recently purchased '70 Newport convertible, with a good 440, and sticky, not recently adjusted drum brakes. I entered the turn way too fast, tapped the brakes, nothing, harder tap, fronts momentarily lockup and body starts to roll into turn, hit the gas, both rears broke loose for a second, then grabbed, and she straightened out, and tore out of there. All I could smell was rubber, all four tires smoked within seconds of eachother! My heart was racing! I doubt I could do that again if I tried. It could have ended in disaster. I got lucky.

I have heard of many guys using Monroes over the years and are happy with them.

I was always happy with Monroes. I needed something stiffer. We have a dip in a local road that'll make my Challenger RT bottom out, makes my RAM 2500 make a thud. The Polara hits it without notice. . .

2cents:
Without going into an encyclopedia of shock info, in my NYB's, I went with NORS Monroe OEM heavy duty replacements.
1. The improvement was more than sufficient for normal driving.
2. The price was very reasonable.
3. They slip right in.

The most bang for the buck IMO.

I guess Stan and I are the old farts here, I just went with the NAPA HD's. Also having 235's on all 4 corners helps it hug the corners real well!

thanks to all for the advice, ive had to compromise abit - a pair of Monroe Max Air for the rear since the car has the auto level control which i want to retain.
KYB doesnt do an air shock that i could find.
couldnt get a HD Monroe front shock so KYBs are going on the front; i suppose i could have just unplugged the onboard compressor and put KYBs all around.
once the shocks arrive and are installed i will let you know how it turned out.

mark

If its not to late jump on Rockauto.com I juast bought 4 shocks for my 77. Lots of options they explain the differences in shocks pretty well. They do have an HD option for you

If its not to late jump on Rockauto.com I juast bought 4 shocks for my 77. Lots of options they explain the differences in shocks pretty well. They do have an HD option for you
I got my KYBs at rockauto. Great prices

Back