Reconditioned 452 heads. What upgrades should I consider?

I don't know for sure, but who does. In any case I hate down time on a running car, and for me I don't have that much time left, all things considered. If your valves are indeed burned, i.e. pie serving-like sections missing of the valve head, then just as likely the heads are in rough shape and maybe not salvageable.

As others had said, I agree you should stick with closed chamber heads, though I might consider the thicker Fel-Pro blue gaskets, or fine with just the stock steel shim type. In any case, your stock 516 heads are not scarce, at least not in the west, as a good dirty set with no burned valves you are lucky to get $100 for, and many end up getting scrapped.

So if you have found a good local machine shop, how about buying a set, buying some new valves and having them machined and then after done, pulling your old heads and swapping them on a weekend project instead of pulling yours, hoping they are useable, and waiting an extended period for them to do the work.

Otherwise I would go with your original idea of Indy, or direct from Areoheadracing.com, and order the closed chamber version they offer, though for more money, PN ARO-CY-BB516, with the 78cc chambers, if they have them available, and get the job done. As for upgrades, sure the hard seats, and the 1.74" later exhaust valves would be a nice addition.

Back