Rectangular Steering Wheel?

JohnB

Reaction score
Anyone know what year and model this steering wheel is from?

steering wheel.png

Chrysler used that style of steering wheel in the '63-'64 time frame. Imperials, too.

Looks like it is where it should be in that car.

CBODY67

According to the '63 Parts Manual, the Newport, New Yorker, and 300 all used the 2266 764 Horn Ring which is more round. So I'm relatively sure its not one of those models.

According to the '63 Parts Manual, the Newport, New Yorker, and 300 all used the 2266 764 Horn Ring which is more round. So I'm relatively sure its not one of those models.
Respectfully disagree with you. It's definitely a '63 Chrysler, and I believe they were also used on the '64's.

1963 Newport for sure. I spent many miles behind that wheel.
I believe the Newport was rounder. It still wasn't quite round, but it wasn't as squared off as the New Yorker/300 models.

I remember my Dad buying a new '63 Newport and looking at other models with the squared off steering wheel, which was "cutting edge" for interior styling.

I searched and found a bunch of '63 Newport pics that looked like this:

1707158974309.png

A '63 New Yorker, on the other hand....

1707159029302.png

(Wondering if there might have been a "running change" during the 1963 model year?)

I believe the Newport was rounder. It still wasn't quite round, but it wasn't as squared off as the New Yorker/300 models.

I remember my Dad buying a new '63 Newport and looking at other models with the squared off steering wheel, which was "cutting edge" for interior styling.

I searched and found a bunch of '63 Newport pics that looked like this:

View attachment 642390

A '63 New Yorker, on the other hand....

View attachment 642391
Big John, you are probably once again correct, there may have been a difference between the Newport and NY'ers. I do however remember for sure that the Newport wheel was not round, I remember mostly the bottom part of the wheel was more squared off to allow more room for the driver. Looking at your pic of the NY'er wheel, it seems a bit too square for my recollection of our Newport.

Thanks for clarifying and refocusing 50+ year old memories!

Big John, you are probably once again correct, there may have been a difference between the Newport and NY'ers. I do however remember for sure that the Newport wheel was not round, I remember mostly the bottom part of the wheel was more squared off to allow more room for the driver. Looking at your pic of the NY'er wheel, it seems a bit too square for my recollection of our Newport.

Thanks for clarifying and refocusing 50+ year old memories!
I'm going by 61+ year old memories! LOL!

This got me thinking about when they bought the car. They were first looking at '62 Chryslers, I think my Dad was looking for a "model year end " deal knowing him. Somewhere they decided to look at the new '63 models. I remember riding in the back when he drove '63 demonstrator with the square steering wheel that neither one really liked so the Newport fit the bill perfectly.

The funny thing was they were all set to go buy an Olds or something like that and my Mom spotted a turquoise Newport she liked. The car was one of those "loss leader" type cars that didn't have a radio or even an outside mirror.

My uncle (Dad's brother) was in the parts business and got him a deal on a radio, remote mirror, clock, and then even a power brake package. My Dad installed all himself and basically built the car he wanted.

I still have the dealer license frame from that car hanging in my garage!

One other thought . . . might the rounder wheels have been on manual steering cars, with the squarer ones for power steering models, which a NY would have been? As Newports could have been law enforcement cars where a more round steering wheel could have been more desired?

CBODY67

One other thought . . . might the rounder wheels have been on manual steering cars, with the squarer ones for power steering models, which a NY would have been? As Newports could have been law enforcement cars where a more round steering wheel could have been more desired?

CBODY67
Our '63 Newport had power steering and brakes. 361 V8

CBODY67
My Dad's car '63 Newport had the "rounder" steering wheel and had power steering.

Back