Refinishing Disc Brake Wheel covers

kenmdale

Reaction score
I'm trying to refresh some original Disc Brake wheel covers for my 66 Fury. The one I have in the picture , I have been able to buff out the scratches and repaint the center. My question is , has anyone refinished these wheel covers, and if so how did you repaint the painted sections. Is the colour a light gray or black that has faded over 50 years

Cheers

Ken

IMG_8076.JPG

004 (41).JPG

These are the ones I restored for mine a while ago. The paint I used was called (here in Europe) Matt Anthracite. Its a 2K. The wheel is the spare, and wont be used on the car.

2k = two part, like an epoxy.
Not to be confused with two stage paint jobs.

Put a coat of grease on the lettering.
Paint.
Let dry.
Wipe off lettering.

Before I got around to painting them I thought I would just remove the old paint off the and give them a good buffing .Anyone have opinions whether to leave them buffed up or should I try to paint them. It would save me some hassle not repainting them. Other than the one posted in this thread, I have not seen a lot of them repainted
IMG_8083.JPG

Thank you to all who have replied. I think I will leave them unpainted for now until I get a chance to get a original set of rims and whitewalls for it. then paint them later if needed. I am not a purist by any means ,but I would like to have it look original. There are some items that I just wont get done ( antenna was installed in the rear quarter when I got it )

Most paints are 2 or 3 parts. I don't know if you've ever tried to shoot Lacquer or enamel without mixing/thinning it, don't work. The 2K actually defines that the paint requires a catalyst.

I'm trying to refresh some original Disc Brake wheel covers for my 66 Fury. The one I have in the picture , I have been able to buff out the scratches and repaint the center. My question is , has anyone refinished these wheel covers, and if so how did you repaint the painted sections. Is the colour a light gray or black that has faded over 50 years

Cheers

Ken

View attachment 71931
Just starting to redo the wheel covers for my 66-300. How did you do the plastics inserts? What paint did you use? How did you remove the existing paint from the plastic inserts?

Tom

Just starting to redo the wheel covers for my 66-300. How did you do the plastics inserts? What paint did you use? How did you remove the existing paint from the plastic inserts?

Tom
I sanded off the paint off the inside of the centers ,then used a buffer to make them clear again, then used an acrylic paint that I found at Michaels Craft Store. I think it was some kind of irradescent red ,or something like that. Ill try to send a pic when I can find it ( photo is 5 posts above this one )

cheers

Ken

Put a coat of grease on the lettering.
Paint.
Let dry.
Wipe off lettering.
Two questions....
1. What kind of grease did you use?
2. How did you apply the grease?

Thanks for your help!

Tom

Back