Remember when?

"Mavericks" used to be cars?

1663268893128.png

20220818_173648-jpg.jpg
Here's something most of today's youth haven't seen. A draft card! No I didn't burn mine. Hell I needed it to get into the bars!
This was what all the big protests were about in the 60's by the Hippies, if you were 18 years old you had too carry this at all times. If you didn't have your draft card with you at 18 and you got pulled over the cops had the right to take you to the station and detain and find out your draft status. If you were a draft dodger with your number called they would call the Military too haul you off to boot camp. Luckily when I turned 18 it was the second or third to last draft and was pretty much ignored Nationwide.

Yea I remember the TV Dinners, also mom would reuse the tins with leftovers from big holiday meals and make her own frozen TV Dinners. After she passed and dad was alone he had Meals On Wheels bring him meals for like $2.00 a meal in 1999. I came and visited him and saw a bunch of them in the fridge stacked up uneaten, I asked him what's up with that, he said try one, you can have them. I figured all he was eating was his couple of eggs in the morning and he was glad to see me to cook meals for him. I tried one of the Meals On Wheels dinners and it was horrible, funny thing is after he passed and I was cleaning out the freezer I found a bunch of mom's frozen tv dinners dated like from 5 years before, left over turkey from Thanksgiving. I said what the heck I tried one... it was better than the meals on wheels but being turkey, questionable... but I didn't get sick. Wished I knew they were in there while he was alive.

.... and dug around in the bottom to get the prize, then the bag wouldn't fit in the box, mom would whip your butt and send you to your room. The good old days!

if you're not around 45 (pun intended) yrs old or older, this first thing may not be familiar to you . Neither the second thing, maybe -- unless (hint, hint) you're the "old timer" in the picture at the bottom like I am ... :poke:

1663502910689.png

1663503020407.png

if you're not around 45 (pun intended) yrs old or older, this first thing may not be familiar to you . Neither the second thing, maybe -- unless (hint, hint) you're the "old timer" in the picture at the bottom like I am ... :poke:

View attachment 558911
View attachment 558912
Hey, I'm only 40 but my dad taught me how to use all of those, including this item when I was a kid.

R (1).jpeg

Hey, I'm only 40 but my dad taught me how to use all of those, including this item when I was a kid.

View attachment 558914

I'll go baack a bit further ...or maybe it was just a my house we had this doo-hickey on our new RCA (may have been a Zenith) box.

1663505709948.png

the yellow thing in #1,232 was a contemporary to this thing but I dont recall using it until mid-1960's (when I was old enough to have the dexerity to install it)

1663504917277.png

Is that a multi-play 45 stacker?
yes sir.

1663506597810.png

adapter slides over the tall "spindle" on the old-time turntables, then you could stack maybe eight to ten 45's on it, slide the "arm" over the stack (just like the LP's that "fit" the spindles without adaptation),

last, the regular mechanical the auto change feature executed by the spindle, actuated that little white button on the adapter, and dropped the next 45 to "keep the party goin'"

My living room, console fully works, early 60's Packard Bell, still working on the cabinet restoration.
IMG_8356.JPG

Alan

Back