Remember when?

We didnt have any tornado drills on new york but lots of hallway duck and covers and monthly fire drills which was our favorite! We could shot to our buddies and then get yelled at. Those were the days.

Manually changing TV stations.
Wall phone!
The ice man delivering blocks of iced for the ice box.
Discovering a frog or small fish flopping around in the ice box after they thawed from the block of river ice.
Milk delivery to the door by the milk man and his horse drawn milk wagon.
The root cellar stocked with preserves and root veggies.
The kitchen wood burning range with a hot water tank on the side provided all meals and heat for the whole house.
Kitchen sink with the pump handle for water.
Copper tub for baths using hot water from kitchen range. All baths were in the kitchen.
Oil lamps for light at night, nothing electric.
Dual seat outhouse out back.
Cistern collected rain water for all none potable water use.
Crank phone/party line, crank for operator.
One room school house.
No TV, no stations.
No radio, no stations except some at night, for Cisco Kid, Scarlet Pimpernell, Lone Ranger, Roy Rodgers, Zorro etc
Life was a heck of a lot less complicated back then.

The above are my recollections from the time I lived in Vienna, Ontario and attended grade 1. Interestlying, the house was high on a hill and the school was high on an opposite hill, so walking to school meant slogging through the weather, up hill both ways! My Aunt Grace would walk everyday, regardless of weather, down the long hill to town, check her mail and return. At the time she was 100 years young and eventually passed on at 104. As an aside to illustrate how the world operated back then, when Grace was in her early 20's she succumbed o the advances of a carpetbagger (travelling bible salesman) and 9 month later a son was born. The town treated her with total scorn for nearly 80 years until her death. As far as I know, she never hooked up with anyone ever again, very sad.

Times sure have changed.
:thumbsup:
Gas wars…25 cents a gallon

The ice man delivering blocks of iced for the ice box.
Discovering a frog or small fish flopping around in the ice box after they thawed from the block of river ice.
Milk delivery to the door by the milk man and his horse drawn milk wagon.
The root cellar stocked with preserves and root veggies.
The kitchen wood burning range with a hot water tank on the side provided all meals and heat for the whole house.
Kitchen sink with the pump handle for water.
Copper tub for baths using hot water from kitchen range. All baths were in the kitchen.
Oil lamps for light at night, nothing electric.
Dual seat outhouse out back.
Cistern collected rain water for all none potable water use.
Crank phone/party line, crank for operator.
One room school house.
No TV, no stations.
No radio, no stations except some at night, for Cisco Kid, Scarlet Pimpernell, Lone Ranger, Roy Rodgers, Zorro etc
Life was a heck of a lot less complicated back then.

The above are my recollections from the time I lived in Vienna, Ontario and attended grade 1. Interestlying, the house was high on a hill and the school was high on an opposite hill, so walking to school meant slogging through the weather, up hill both ways! My Aunt Grace would walk everyday, regardless of weather, down the long hill to town, check her mail and return. At the time she was 100 years young and eventually passed on at 104. As an aside to illustrate how the world operated back then, when Grace was in her early 20's she succumbed o the advances of a carpetbagger (travelling bible salesman) and 9 month later a son was born. The town treated her with total scorn for nearly 80 years until her death. As far as I know, she never hooked up with anyone ever again, very sad.

Times sure have changed.
:thumbsup:
When an ICE truck was actually an ice truck rather than just any ol’ truck that runs on gas or diesel.

I can remember coin operated milk vending machines on the corners in a little town called warsaw new york when I was a kid. Also had a bakery that would deliver glazed soft pretzel shaped donuts!

Maybe only in midwest. School lunch milk box.

Yup. Peel up one corner (had manual dexterity by second grade) and have at it

90f095d7f7a259051391fba417a8a43c.jpg

Back