Remember when?

When visiting your friends actually required knocking on the door to see if they were home.
Rear seat facing backwards.
Fold out paper maps.

My grandma still "starches" her clothes in the sink, she said it was commonplace before the 50s. She does all her laundry by hand, washing, starching, ironing, and hanging on a clothes line to dry. Her clothes always look perfect, but feel like cardboard. Does anyone else remember shirt sleeves sharp enough to cut bread?

Also does anyone remember other things like this that were once part of everyday life that are now forgotten?

I remember getting military tidy whites back from the quartermaster that had so much starch that they tore when you tried to pry them apart. OD greens used to do the same thing.

Dave

And this is all I can picture of you taking that stroll.

View attachment 187330

I always had a soft spot for Plaid Patterns, they were popular in the second half of the 60s for furniture and lampshades as well. Got a few items as well.
Also fascinating is the more or less opposite to this thread: Things that are around mostly unaltered for decades as the Baracuta jacket for example, I think this was even a 30s creation. That's me wearing it. ;)

150812-Baracuta-Steve-McQueen-by-William-Claxton.jpg

Writing Sears to request a new catalogue because you were down to the index.

Dave

My mom would tell me about her being the youngest of seven and trying to hide the Sears catalog index from the rest of her siblings so she would have the soft pages.

My mom would tell me about her being the youngest of seven and trying to hide the Sears catalog index from the rest of her siblings so she would have the soft pages.

Berry field out houses had either Sears catalogues or old phone books in rural Oregon.

Dave

Hillsboro, Or does a 4th of July Parade every year, about 5 mi away. Your usual small town parade, Dairy princesses and all that.

Dave

TV antennas, free TV, full service stations, phone booths, road signs with reflector buttons, concrete guardrails with metal cables, passing zones.

"Downtown" aka "intown".
Where you bought EVERYTHING.
1967-centre-street.jpg

Food, shoes, dungarees, bakery, eyeglasses... Everything.

We grew up with a product called "Daileyware". I was still using it up until just a few years ago. It wasn't really designed with microwaves in mind.
View attachment 187513

We're using the 5lb avacado green stoneware plates I grew up with. Probably not designed for microwave either, but they were around at the same time. (Microwave in background)

P.S. I guess you can add Coppertone Frigidaire appliances to the list.
IMG_20171007_194837.jpg

Back