Removal/replace side view mirror glass

greasemonkeyman

Reaction score
Has anyone here tried to remove the glass mirror portion from a side view mirror to replace it? Is it possible to just replace the glass mirror or must you glue another mirror on top of the old one?Does anyone have an exploded view of the mirror internals? It is a remote drivers side mirror

I've never done it, but I'm told a heat gun will soften the glue and let you take the old mirror off.

Thanks Big John,I'll give it a try. I know with the newer cars the mirror just snaps off on some of them and is replacable but never tried it on an older mirror.I'm sure it must somehow be able to be dismantled since it had to have been assembled at one point in time.

What car are you doing this on? The older stuff like mid seventies and earlier is going to have the glass mounted in a sheet metal wrap around that has folded edges.

The glass on the mirrors for my Formal were held on by a silicone-like glue material. I used a razor / putty knife to gently get under and cut the glass away.

I used a product called "Goop" to glue the glass back on after the mirrors were re-chromed. Works great.

The glass on the mirrors for my Formal were held on by a silicone-like glue material. I used a razor / putty knife to gently get under and cut the glass away..
Was the glass in or out or the mirror assembly?

This is interesting.... I gotta go look at my 70 Chrysler's mirrors to see how the glass is mounted.

I know my 69 Roadrunner's mirrors were glued in.

Well,I found that the only way to remove the old mirror glass is to break it into pieces and then pry it out.There is just about enough room to get a razor blade between the glass and the metal backing surround that it rests in.Between the mirror glass and the metal plate is a thin(almost cardboard-like) gasket that looks alot like the gasket material they sell in the auto parts stores.It's only about 1/16" thick and it seems the mirror is glued to this and it's loosely glued onto the metal backing inside the mirror.

Back