Removing dents from bumpers

Carmine

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Has anyone here used jacks and/or hydraulic tools (porta-power) to remove relatively minor bumper damage? I'm not looking for perfection, just pushing out about a 1/2" of damage.

If so, how did you support the bumper to confine the force to one area and prevent simply bending the whole thing? I'm thinking of some kind of wooden cribbing set up.

Don't bother with replating suggestions, this is more/less a temp/driver fix. I wouldn't be a customer for that if/until I decide on a full resto.

This is a pre-impact style bumper, so there are no backer bar/acess issues.

IMG_20210319_0545495.jpg

IMG_20210319_0545383.jpg

That's some thick metal to work back. I've never done it myself but I'd imagine it'd be just like working a dent out of sheet metal, just with a lot more effort, and maybe a little heat. Remember, first in, last out. Don't just start whacking it on the crown.

Chris, we really need to know what this bumper is attached to if we are to help you. :lol:

Your people out there know.

And you know it's not a 5-mph bumper, so that narrows it somewhat. Think of this as one of those "guess where" or "guess who" threads.

Looking like my ‘68 Polara bumper and fuel fill.

I think a shop press and some hardwood blocks, or maybe a chunk of aluminum would be the best tools for the job.

Jeff

Soft wood block on the chrome side(solid piece of pine not the Home Depot stud garbage). A 1 lb. or above ball peen or hand sledge hammer. Don't beat the hell out of it just let the weight of the hammer do most of the work.

Back