Replacing Ball-joint on 58 Ply.

furyfever

Reaction score
Have to replace upper right balljoint in 58 Plymouth. Inner tire treads were wearing out. Have friend helping me got upper balljoint and a-arm freed up today. Still have to unscrew it tbough to remove it. Need socket. Where can I get and what size is it? I found ball joints…they seem to be readily available but the a-arm bushings are not…that I can find as of yet…Anyone know where I can find one? My friend said if only you could find a whole new upper a-arm with balljoint installed and with 2 new bushings but I told him they are probably not available. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0CEA2D3F-F0EA-4A1D-A868-59AFC2DAB727.jpeg

34A9521E-08AE-40A6-9758-6A59C6111551.jpeg

78167657-7417-48A2-A6FA-27F71038D13E.jpeg

O.K.
Extension Bar Plus an 8 Ft Length of Pipe.
The Secret is to Make Sure the Socket is Seated Flat, 'Cause There Ain't a Real Lot for it to Hang on to.
Only Done a Couple But They Can Be a REAL Pain after Setting for 50 or 60 Years.
I am Exaggerating But Not By Much.
Be Careful I Worked with the Military for 20 Years, At One Stage We Had to Replace All the Wheel Nuts on Our
MACK Trucks, The 1" Air Guns Wouldn't "Crack" the Nuts So Weighing in at 165 Kgs I was Volunteered to be
the Fella That Stood on the End of an Eight Ft Bar to do the Job.
One or Two was O.K. But We Had a Fleet pf Them.
Had a Few Painful Slips, So Be Careful.
Kind Regards.
Tony.M

Rare parts are just 3x price marked up standard parts... a total crook.

They are not rare... you need that socket thats it... soak it in liquid wrench and heat it up...

Hi Upon installation of the Ball joint use an anti galling compound like Never-Seez makes the going in part a whole lot easier. I own Three '58's two Plymouths and a Dodge so I've done my share of these.

Back