Reproduction C body floors. High quality stamped full floors

I'll concur that AMD would be a good source for the parts. They've certainly had good luck with their B-body stuff!

On the other hand, wasn't there a thread in here several months ago with a link to an existing company in the Detroit area that was already re-popping front and rear floor panels? In rh and lh sides? The poster, and others, had good things to say about the panels they'd purchased. I went into the linked website and figured out that company was where some of the repro parts people were getting their floorpans at reasonable prices.

IF the parts are noted to be "licensed" by the OEM, that means they are built to the same blue prints as the original items were back when. That also means they have to meet certain quality control targets, as the OEM parts did. Aside from all of this, the licensing fees used to be about 5%, included into the selling price? But it also means that every bead, hole, and contour is there, as in the original OEM part, too.

The "oriental" replacement sheet metal was famous for having dimensions which were not exact, when compared to the OEM items. Not all of the correct holes in them, either. Or the same quality of primer! Not licensed. "Will fit". Which is how they got around the OEM copyrights and such.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

On the other hand, wasn't there a thread in here several months ago with a link to an existing company in the Detroit area that was already re-popping front and rear floor panels? In rh and lh sides? The poster, and others, had good things to say about the panels they'd purchased. I went into the linked website and figured out that company was where some of the repro parts people were getting their floorpans at reasonable prices.

Classic 2 Current is in Detroit. Their stuff is cheap, but you get what you pay for... Wait, I'll take that back... You get less than what you pay for. It's high school sheet metal shop quality.

Classic 2 Current is in Detroit. Their stuff is cheap, but you get what you pay for... Wait, I'll take that back... You get less than what you pay for. It's high school sheet metal shop quality.

So do we look, instead for a race car building shop with metal brakes, beaders, and such instead? Is it their "quality" or their gauge of metal? Just curious. Might some additional sheet metal be tacked onto the foot wells areas for additional stiffness? Just asking questions.

CBODY67

So do we look, instead for a race car building shop with metal brakes, beaders, and such instead? Is it their "quality" or their gauge of metal? Just curious. Might some additional sheet metal be tacked onto the foot wells areas for additional stiffness? Just asking questions.

CBODY67
Their stuff is all built with brakes and bead rollers. In my experience, the metal was thinner and it didn't come close to fitting. At best, it is just a patch panel and not a complete floor pan. For the extra work involved to get it to work, it's usually easier to start from scratch... or find some usable used metal.

A really good shop could come a lot closer to reproducing the bends, beads etc., but I would expect the price to get prohibitive because of the amount of hand work involved.

AMD is making full quarters for 64 Galaxies. And floors, and almost every part of those cars. I mean nearly every part. You could almost build a new body from scratch.
Is there that much more demand for for parts that guy one year, 64 Galaxies than multiple year C bodies?

AMD, Goodmark and other companies have the ability to make new parts. Want a new trunk floor for a 63 Belvedere?
AMD makes it. Want a new quarter for a 64 Fury? AMD makes those too. Know why? Because people who want them spoke up.

All the negativity here makes me scratch my head.

If you think you can, or think you can't- you are right.

Want new C body parts?

Ask for them.

Or sit on the sidelines and complain.

we have tried in the past, but if you would like to start a campaign, i'm on board. i think a fusie trunk floor would be a logical place to start. maybe some lower fender patch panels too.

I haven't looked in the AMD catalog lately, but I suspect that there will always be WAY more Ford and Chevy (car AND pickup) parts in there than there ever might be for Chrysler products. Just as the realm of their Chry Corp vehicles will be more with B-E-A-bodies than C-bodies. Why? One reason is that B-E-A-bodies, Fords, and Chevies were a part of the "muscle car era" of vehicles which came with "fire-breathing drag race/NASCAR engines" and such. That wouild include the Chrysler 426 HEMI, the Chevy 427s and 396s, and the Ford 427s (NASCAR and such; the 428s were more street-related). In other words, more "collector-grade" cars. I don't believe that King Richard ever drove a C-body in NASCAR, but did do the pre-65 "full-size" Belvederes and such.

Historically, it was the '50s Chryslers that "donated" their engines for the earlier drag racing activities. The first gen Hemis. Although each Chrysler car division had their own versions, except for Plymouth, in the '50s. Other than some street hot rods, most "performance" Plymouths and Dodges of the '50s and earlier '60s were law enforcement cars that people knew NOT to try to outrun in their Fords and Chevies. Sure, there were some special editions/models (as the 300 Letter Series Chryslers) that were also fast, but their production was not very high. It was easier to make a Ford or Chevy run fast as almost anybody knew how to do that, in most areas of the nation. But if somebody showed up in a Sport Fury of D-500 Dodge, they got noticed, tail lights mostly, at first. Not needing the help of far-away speed shops, either . . . all factory.

Of course, most "races" were of a relatively short distance. Most Chevies needed 4.11 or deeper gears to make them "run right". Fords were more like 3.91 or 3.11. So a stock Chrysler could easily cruise away from them to "top end", especially with their Torsion-Aire suspensions.

When the Super/Stock drag racing classes came around in the later '50s, it was usually Plymouth/Dodge that dominated them. Chevy Biscayne 409s, Plymouth Savoy 413s, and Ford Galaxie 427s in the earlier '60s. By '65, all of the major activities were in the Chrysler B-body cars. No C-body vehicles, exceptin the lower "stock automatic" classes.

Thirty years ago, many wanted something as seemingly simple as new 426HEMI blocks. Used ones, at Mopar Nationals, with the correct codes on them, were going for about $3000.00, IF they had the pieces which were knocked out of the side when a rod let loose. And then there were the related costs to "make it whole again". It was years later that the current line of Mopar Perf repro stock blocks appeared, which also served as the base for their Crate Motor Program. A crate motor program that blew similar things at Ford and Chevy "over the fence and into the weeds". We were excited to hear MP's Larry Sheppard tell us how they were expanding their repro parts programs, using the orig blueprints and vendors. This was GREAT stuff! But as he told us, MP had to make a business case for each item to get it approved, starting small and building.

Typically, repro parts start just after the OEM discontinues the original item. Sometimes, the OEM will order the parts in batches, from their supplier, then not re-order when the sales volume drops off. Then a possible vendor can propose to license the repro item, IF there's enough perceived sales volume. It took AGES for the '66 Charger tail light lenses to be licensed and produced!

In other parts of the car hobby, there have been some plastic parts repopped, in small batches, with paid orders in hand before anything will happen. The magnitude for sheet metal parts is more expensive. Rather than molds, "dies" must be made, and many of them, as it takes several stamps to get a fender skin made, for example. It's one thing to cajole a company into doing something, alluding to "many sales", but if the vendor does repop the part, put it on sale, and the "many sales" don't materialize on cur, guess who gets left holding the "bag" with a warehouse of items that aren't selling (and repaying the cost of production). Pre-sold orders are best to ensure the vendor makes ANY money on the venture. Plain and simple.

Why not start a Sticky at the top of the forum posts for repro parts desired and let people put their names on the lists for the particular items. Front floorpan footwell pieces could be one, rear floor footwell panels would be another one (with carline and model listed), then luggage compartment floors (model and carline listed). See how that goes.

Many thoughts,
CBODY67

AMD, Goodmark and other companies have the ability to make new parts

Since I retired, I don't have access to the resources I once had, so this is some searching and an educated guess or two. I also have no dog in this fight, as I don't need any C-body sheet metal. These are more random thoughts more than anything....

You might be able to go around AMD and go directly to their supplier. AMD's supplier in Taiwan is Triplus. Triplus Co., Ltd. Triplus may only sell to AMD and AMD may be owned by Triplus or the other way around... I don't know. Again, I don't have the resources to say. I would figure that AMD would "own" the dies and tooling to make AMD sheet metal and only AMD sheet metal could be processed on that tooling.

It looks like Goodmark makes their own stuff through their parent company, LMQ, with manufacturing facilities also in Taiwan. LMQ also owns Keystone.

Speaking of tooling... The largest "upfront" cost is the tooling. Low run sheet metal stamping is usually done with Kirksite dies (google it) and I would not be surprised if all the repop sheet metal is done that way. FWIW, all the Tucker car sheet metal was done with Kirksite as "hard" tooling was going to come after all the kinks in the first run of 50 plus cars was worked out.

Thank you, once again, Big John for your real-world understanding of these supposedly easy things we think possible.

Zach Huckleberry ([email protected])To:you Details
James,

Unfortunately, we do not have any plans to do anything for C-bodies. There’s just not enough demand for them.

AMDLogoEmail_154x51.png

Zach Huckleberry
Auto Metal Direct
940 Sherwin Parkway, Suite 180
Buford, Georgia 30518
Toll Free: (866) 591-8309
Local: (770) 967-0909
Fax: (770) 692-6360

here's your guy. go get him :)

If someone wanted to do this I’d would be interested in partnering. As I have a lot of customers & a fairly well known name. I don’t have the capital to tie up.

Perhaps Kickstarter? Don't ask me how to do one, but it seems to be a pretty common way these days to get average type people to invest in projects.

The question here was who wants new floors. Not who thinks it is a viable business venture.
How do you know there is no demand?

10 years ago, you could not buy new floors for Dodge Darts either, but AMD makes them and they sell like crazy.

How unfortunate for you, that you see only the negative.

Perhaps instead of throwing your wet blanket on every post, you let the people who actually love, and restore these cars discuss the parts they would like to see available.

How unfortunate for you, that you see only the negative.
When I see yet another Don Quixote tilting at windmills, I will point out it out.
You sir, are not realistic and can't stand the thought of being told so.
I see a lot of good in many, many, things. I don't waste my time hunting snipes.

I cant even get anyone on here or 6 months of advertising on ebay my repro lens gaskets for 66 300s at $7.50 each , so what chance is there of people saddling up to pay for repro panels . People just want things at hand for their convenience , but not many people put their heart and soul into having a go ad seeing how hard , time consuming and expensive it gets making car things . Ive had a repro parts business and its soul destroying in the end if you want to pedal low volume and high quality in this day and age . Its just reality , hence why I will only do things for myself now sadly . I still love 57-68 Big Body Mopars despite this !

When I see yet another Don Quixote tilting at windmills, I will point out it out.
You sir, are not realistic and can't stand the thought of being told so.
I see a lot of good in many, many, things. I don't waste my time hunting snipes.
Bird Regulations
Waterfowl and other migratory game bird regulations
2018-2019 Florida Migratory Bird Hunting Season Dates and Bag Limits
Seasons and dates may not apply to wildlife management areas.

Species/season Season dates Daily bag limit Possession limit
Crow * Aug. 11 - Oct. 28 (Sat. & Sun. only)
Nov. 11 - Feb. 18 No limit No limit
Rail (King and clapper) Sept. 1 - Nov. 9 15 45
Rail (Sora and Virginia) Sept. 1 - Nov. 9 25 75
Common moorhen Sept. 1 - Nov. 9 15 45
Canada goose (W) Sept. 1 - 30
Nov. 17 - 25
Dec. 1 - Jan. 30 5 15
Duck (W) Sept. 22 - 26 (teal and wood duck only) 6 (of which only 2 can be wood ducks) 3 times the daily bag
Sept. 27 - 30 (teal only) 6 18
Nov. 17 - 25
Dec. 8 - Jan. 27 6 ducks, including no more than 4 mallards (of which only 2 can be females), 4 scoters, 4 eiders, 4 long-tailed ducks, 3 wood ducks, 2 redheads, 2 black duck, 2 scaup, 2 canvasbacks, 2 pintails, 1 mottled duck (Florida duck) and 1 fulvous whistling-duck 3 times the daily bag
Dove (mourning and white-winged) Sept. 22 - Oct. 14
Nov. 10 - Dec. 2
Dec. 19 - Jan. 31 15 45
Snipe Nov. 1 - Feb. 15 8 24

Coot Nov. 17 - 25

Dec. 8 - Jan. 27 15 45
Light geese (Snow, blue and Ross') (W) Nov. 17 - 25
Dec. 8 - Jan. 27 15 No limit
Merganser (W) Nov. 17 - 25
Dec. 8 - Jan. 27 5 (of which only 2 may be hooded) 3 times the daily bag
Woodcock Dec. 18 - Jan. 31 3 9
Youth Waterfowl Hunting Days Feb. 2 - 3 ** **

Snipe season's coming... but Old Coots better be careful the week before Thanksgiving... :rolleyes:

there's still some 4dr cars that can give up good floors, still a 'reasonable' route to score fenders, rocker material, floors, etc. And from the total cost across all parties, still far cheaper for the few cars that someone would spend money on to make custom pans vs tooling and inventory be created. Just the way it is.

Way too much cost associated with developing a new part from an existing part. Plus the buyers simply wouldn't pay what they manufacturer would need - it would be cheaper to cut up another car and the resulting component would be better than any reproduction. AMD parts are the best we can get - they are not "that good".

I got really lucky finding my floor pan 3 years ago now.
Serious horse shoes up my back side on this find.
20150128_191942.jpg
20150128_191949.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-4.jpg

Back