Retired Auto Tech

Retired auto tech

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am starting the restoration of a 1967 Newport convertible and at this point have about 75% of it disassebled. Hope to have it off to the blasters by the end of the month.
Started in the trade in the 1970's. I spent most of my time in the trade working in small auto-electric shops doing electrical, tune-up and diagnostics. I woked for a while in sales and training
with the local Allen Test Products dealer and spent much of my time training technicians in the use of engine analysers, scopes and gas analysers. Curently I have a Sun 500E scope and an Allen
electronic syncrograph in my garage.

Most of our work was for fleets of vehicles in the oil patch and I averaged three major tune-ups a day which included complete teardown and overhaul of carbs and distributors with many needing
the resealing of leaking intake manifolds. You gotta love it when the big three went to aluminium intake manifolds on cast iron heads and used the same gaskets as with iron on iron as the aluminum expands and contracts at a higher rate and tears up the gaskets.

I also spent five years as Technical Services Manager for an engine remanufacturing company where we rebuilt engines on an assembly line for distribution in western Canada and the US. I also
ran my own four bay service station for a while.

The nice thing about being retired is having the time to spend working on the car. The goal is to have it completed in about two years. As I got the car partly disassembed and it had sat inside for many years it is missing some of the small bits and pieces, mostly from the interior, that I will have to locate as I go along.

Bye for now, will post some pictures when I have more time.

Sounds like a wealth of experience and insight of engineering flaws aka aluminum to steel gaskets. Welcome aboard from a hill in Arkansas.

Welcome from North Dakota. As @rags said. I am working on a couple of Allen scopes.
I probably should try to finish the cabinet bodywork and get it back together. So I can figure out why my gauges don’t work. (Scope works fine).

Back