Retro Radio question

I love technology. I just don't use the ones at any particular time when it can kill me.
But it's me actually. I can't even listen to music and drive.

All good points. I don't expect the mic to work terribly well, especially since I really only drive the car when it's nice enough to have the top down and then its almost impossible to talk even with an earpiece, which is what I use most often. But the techie in me will hook it up and see how it works. Nothing will get permanently mounted so no harm no foul.

Either way, I appreciate all the great input!

Radio is back in and working! First I got nothing and found a blown fuse. The PO removed the glove box light and left the wire exposed which shorted and blew the fuse. I fixed that right quick!

It sounds exactly as I expected it would, like two speakers driven by a small head unit. Not going to blow the doors off but the quality is good and volume is plenty. AM/FM/Bluetooth all work great. Microphone works fine while parked in the shed, lots of testing is in my future before mounting though. I had to do some actual work today so I will button it all up later. Now it's back to rebuilding my carburetor, the float just arrived this afternoon.

A couple things of note after the upgrade.

I wedged the mic on the dash next to the drivers side apillar. Because of the mic foam it didnt require any mounting hardware/adhesive, it just snuggly fits between the apillar and the dash. Will have to get a pic. Yesterday I answered a call with the top down at 55mph and not only could I hear the other person fine, they didn't have any complaints about being able to hear me. That is a plus!

The two speakers sound great for what they are. I think a small subwoofer will round things out nicely though and will put this on my list of farther down the road enhancements.

Thanks for all the tips/advice along the way!

Here is my aurora radio conversion installed. As well as the amp and speakers. (JL Audio marine 8.8 speakers and marine 200 watt amp.) The EL in the radio still works after the conversion. Not a C-body but it's my car show cruiser until my Fury gets done (66 Charger 383 auto, 4 bbl A/C)

IMG_4278.jpgIMG_4279.jpgIMG_4280.jpgIMG_4281.jpgIMG_4282.jpgIMG_4283.jpgIMG_4284.jpgIMG_4285.jpgIMG_4286.jpg

IMG_4278.jpg

IMG_4279.jpg

IMG_4280.jpg

IMG_4281.jpg

IMG_4282.jpg

IMG_4283.jpg

IMG_4284.jpg

IMG_4285.jpg

IMG_4286.jpg

Why marine?

66-67 Chargers have nasty habit of leaking. Which mine does in the corners of the rear window, even after having a new seal put it. So in the event they get wet they won't be ruined. So a little more for piece of mind. Also marine speakers are designed to provide a less distorted sound at higher volumes to overcome the noise on a boat. The JL Audio 8.8s provide a great full range.

66-67 Chargers have nasty habit of leaking. Which mine does in the corners of the rear window, even after having a new seal put it. So in the event they get wet they won't be ruined. So a little more for piece of mind. Also marine speakers are designed to provide a less distorted sound at higher volumes to overcome the noise on a boat. The JL Audio 8.8s provide a great full range.

That looks awesome, nice job putting that together! I will consider marine speakers if I have issues with leaking in the 'vert. At the moment, the only leaks are when I wash the car. Hoping after restoration that is no longer the case though. But it sounds like marine speakers might be a better overall sound.

Back