Retro Radio question

Here's the radio for my 66 Charger that SM Electro-Tech did for me. They cleaned it up really good and even checked to see if the EL lighting in the radio still worked. Which it does. I'm hoping to get it into the place that did my seats this week. I'm going with 2 JL 8.8 marine speakers and 200 watt amp in the fold down to the trunk. Should fill the charger with some nice sound. I ran a cable for the Aux in along the dash, into the channel along the driver's door, then across with the wiring for the center console and shifter then into the center console to plug my phone in for tunes. I made sure i had enough cable so I could pull the phone all the way out of the center console and still be connected to the radio.

IMG_4272.jpgIMG_4273.jpgIMG_4274.jpg

IMG_4272.jpg

IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4274.jpg

IMG_4275.jpg

That looks awesome. I do want to have that done to my original am radio, but I have a long way to go before listening to tunes.

If you decide to have it done before December 1st and you want Tayman to do it for you, let me know. I have a $20 coupon I can mail you!

No cuz there would be right & left, not a single output.

MGM, are you planning to use an amp or are you just hooking up the speakers?

I don't plan to use an amp unless I am not happy with the sound I get from the dual voice coil 4x10 and 6x9 I just installed. Then I may opt for an 8" sub just to round out the sound. It was only $15 more for the three line outs so I decided I would rather have it if I need it. My preference would be not to have to install an amp although I am not against it if deemed necessary.

As far as the connectors, they are all 3.5mm in size. How many contacts each has is not clear or documented from what I can find. I know the Microphone plug that came with the kit has two contacts. And I also expect the AUX (LINE IN) to use two contacts. I would guess the line outs use a dual contact 3.5mm connector since it is split into F/R. Never seen it done this way though, I have always seen RED/WHITE RCA plugs when working with an amplifier.

if you're not using an amp then for the speakers you'll use the wires coming out of the radio that go to the white connector. if you were going to an amp the preferred method of connecting to the amp would be rca cables. but there are amps that can be connected with a 3.5mm jack. you typically need one amp per 3.5mm jack. it looks like they use 3.5mm jacks and not rca for the line out.

Where are you planning to put the mic?

I don't know yet, I'm going to try to test in various places before I mount it. I was thinking about under the steering column but I worry about hitting it with my knee.

What would you suggest? Love to hear some ideas.

I don't plan to use an amp unless I am not happy with the sound I get from the dual voice coil 4x10 and 6x9 I just installed. Then I may opt for an 8" sub just to round out the sound. It was only $15 more for the three line outs so I decided I would rather have it if I need it. My preference would be not to have to install an amp although I am not against it if deemed necessary.

As far as the connectors, they are all 3.5mm in size. How many contacts each has is not clear or documented from what I can find. I know the Microphone plug that came with the kit has two contacts. And I also expect the AUX (LINE IN) to use two contacts. I would guess the line outs use a dual contact 3.5mm connector since it is split into F/R. Never seen it done this way though, I have always seen RED/WHITE RCA plugs when working with an amplifier.
I think all amps are gonna use RCA. I guess they make a splitter cable???

I don't know yet, I'm going to try to test in various places before I mount it. I was thinking about under the steering column but I worry about hitting it with my knee.

What would you suggest? Love to hear some ideas.
A-pillar or sun visor.

I think all amps are gonna use RCA. I guess they make a splitter cable???

A-pillar or sun visor.

Kellycom suggested earlier they make an amp that uses this style connector, I have never seen one but I have limited experience with amps and it's been 15 years since I worked with an amp. Figured I would just make an adaptor for it if needed.

Thanks for the tips on the mic location, I'd like it to be as hidden and functional as possible. Sun visor could work well as it may be hidden while in the up position.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLMPA35-2-Channel-300-Watt-Amplifier/dp/B004HJ931M amp w/3.5mm input
or http://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-Feet-3-5mm-Stereo-Cable/dp/B000V0G2C4 to convert the 3.5mm to rca for input into an amp with rca connectors. I used one of those cables for my AUX in. Well it was 1 6' rca to 3.5mm and 2 6' 3.5mm cables to route it where I wanted it in the center console.

you can get them in 15 ft or longer (http://www.amazon.com/Premium-feet-Series-3-5mm-22AWG/dp/B002KJCFAW). which you'll need if you mount the amp in the trunk.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLMPA35-2-Channel-300-Watt-Amplifier/dp/B004HJ931M amp w/3.5mm input
or http://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-Feet-3-5mm-Stereo-Cable/dp/B000V0G2C4 to convert the 3.5mm to rca for input into an amp with rca connectors. I used one of those cables for my AUX in. Well it was 1 6' rca to 3.5mm and 2 6' 3.5mm cables to route it where I wanted it in the center console.

you can get them in 15 ft or longer (http://www.amazon.com/Premium-feet-Series-3-5mm-22AWG/dp/B002KJCFAW). which you'll need if you mount the amp in the trunk.

Cool, thanks for the info! I really hope the FMR-1 conversion will drive the two speakers enough without an amp. Always good to know my options though!

My experience with aftermarket mics is that they need to be pretty close to your face. I have built in hands free in all three of my late model Dodges but I still opt for Bose headphones with a mic since the quality is far superior. Whenever I use the hands free the other person says they can't hear me. Never an issue with the Bose headphones (buds).

I can NOT tell you enough how dorky those make people look.
I absolutely refused to wear one when when work wanted me to and I still won't do it.
I know, I know, they wayyyyyyyyyy safer.
I just won't use the phone unless it's my wife's ringtone ringing.
IDGAF if it's the state lottery commision calling. I ain't answering.

Signed:
censored.gif
old man in hat

I'm not talking about an earpiece... Just normal looking earbuds that you'd never even notice. Being old doesn't limit your access to technology...

Back