Richard Petty's Dart

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
This was the dirt track car that helped develop the old Kit Car program. This car was fast. Stroker small block.

image.jpg

there is a Racer in Maine that used those Kit car Darts, very successfully
10.jpg
[h=2]Ralph Nason[/h]A three-time winner of the state’s prestigious Oxford 250, Ralph Nason’s contributions to motorsports in Maine—and the Northeast—are far reaching. Emerging into the game in the 1960s, Nason’s name drove into the spotlight in 1974 when he became the first to purchase, build and race the newly conceived Chrysler Kit Car in partnership with Richard Petty Enterprises. The yellow and black Dodge, emblazoned with the Partner Chain Saws sponsorship, combined with Ralph’s driving tenacity to prove a formidable force across the Northeast for a period of years. In his first Kit Car year alone, Nason racked up 23 feature wins spread among his home track of Unity Raceway, Bangor’s Speedway 95 and Wiscasset Speedway. A business entrepreneur, Ralph went on to purchase the track at which he became fabled—Unity—as well as Caribou’s Spud Speedway and Quebec’s Montmagny Autodrome. When Pro Stock racing hit an insurmountable wall in the mid-1990s, Nason stepped up to form a new Pro tour of his own under the New England Pro Stock Association (NEPSA) title—a tour that successfully morphed into new touring title names after Ralph’s initiation of it. His three 250 titles—1998, ’99 & 2000—saw him again defeat unlikely odds by becoming the first—and the only, to date—to capture Maine’s biggest race three times in a row.

Awsome......had not heard about this. The Petty's reach went far across the nation. From USAC to ARCA to Drag racing. Little know fact. Dale Earnhardt Sr was a test driver for the Kit Car program. I have a pic somewhere of him wheeling a Petty preped Challenger around a dirt track

Yes indeed ! I have the same issue, and he sung its praises! He also ran a Hemi Charger in the mid-70's I believe

Going off off memory again. Earnhardt got a ride in Ed Negre's Charger in the 1976 World 600 at Charlotte. Pretty sure it was a 355 inch car. I have several pics of Ed's car. Don't think Big E was driving even though there is a # 8 on the door.

The Kit Kar 340/W-2 combo was as good as any chevy sb in USAC in the mid to late 70's. Except for the BIG BIG $$$ Foyt stuff. Jim Gilmore had a lot of $!!

there is a Racer in Maine that used those Kit car Darts, very successfully
10.jpg
Ralph Nason

I know where there is a kit car Challenger sitting its pretty beat but there was some parts I wanted from it but not for what they want.

Do they want to sell the whole car. Years ago I found the Jerry Churchill Chrysler LeBaron ARCA car. The 2nd one built. Guy wanted $600. It hit the wall at Atlanta & was crunched good. Wish now I had bought it. I'll post pics of it later

I offered 400 about 7 years ago got turned down flat and it is really rough, all the salt from track prep has taken its toll over the years and out in the weather has not helped.

Back