Rims, Tire sizes, Whitewalls, etc.

Carmine

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I want to show some of what I've done, and share some ideas. First on my '73 Imperial, these are the 235/75 Kumo's that everybody buys now.
SU1HMDA1NzcuanBn.jpg

Obviously they did not come with the outer stripe. I added it using this technique:

0904001759.jpg

...which I call 4-jackstands, high idle and sandpaper. I'm wearing safety glasses, so it's all good. If you want the width of a sixty-series and the dignified look of a whitewall, you can also turn any white letter tire into a whitewall. That's how these tires were created on my '68.

68Imperial-1.jpg

I used "portawalls" to get WW on my '51. They fell apart. However, I think that may have been more about the quality and age of the rubber than the design concept. If someone could tool these up from a soft, flexible plastic, they would be great.

1308411095.jpg

Which brings me to these rims... Anyone know about them? I love the idea of getting modern technology tire benefits (and better prices)* with old-school looks. The problem is I really don't want 20s... I'd like 17s because you need SOME amount of sidewall. The beautiful part is that you can use your stock 15" hubcaps.

fullprofile.png

Which makes me think somebody should just come out with a "hubcap extender" that goes on a 17" rim like a trim ring, then your 15 or 14" hubcap snaps into it. Believe it or not, such a thing did exist from Chrysler. I wish I had a photo of it... It was used on 70s trucks with 16.5" rims and allowed them to run the 15" wheel covers that looked like this:

images

*I want to mention that I'm not into resto-modding crap like giga-watt radios that look old, or adding fuel injection because I can't tune a carb. However, I consider tires to be an easily reversible mod, and tires are really the only contact you have with mother earth. The difference is so night/day that it ain't funny.

I've got a set of the "shrinkers" to run 15 in caps on a 16 in rim, would love to find a set to run 14 in caps on a 15 in wheel.

Okay, got a couple shots for you.

Thanks. Very interesting... I can't imagine it would work very well with a heavy hubcap (like a '69 Imperial) but it would probably be fine with a '70. To go from 15" to 17", I'm sure the valve stem would need to come through the adapter.

Back