Rip's New '73 Navajo

Thanks a lot, Steve for this illuminating post. I guess I'm gonna hafta put a toggle switch in the wiring circuit to the compressor. . .

Honestly Rip, I think it should be relatively easy to just incorporate an earlier push button switch. The added piece to cause the compressor to operate continuously was located on top of that 1973 push button switch. You do have to remove the ash tray and radio to access it but it isn't that hard to do unless you are at the age where this might be a challenge. Otherwise, a toggle switch will work too though.

Honestly Rip, I think it should be relatively easy to just incorporate an earlier push button switch. The added piece to cause the compressor to operate continuously was located on top of that 1973 push button switch. You do have to remove the ash tray and radio to access it but it isn't that hard to do unless you are at the age where this might be a challenge. Otherwise, a toggle switch will work too though.

Thanks again, Steve. I think a toggle switch is a bit tacky, so I'll keep an eye out for the earlier switch at Carlisle in July. BTW, are you coming?

why Chrysler was so behind the times in continuing to use that RV2 compressor

They loved the old "Iron Lung" that's why. :rofl:

Must've been the same guy who liked those hideous rubber tits/beer holders on all the '73 Chrysler products.:rofl:

I guess I'm gonna hafta put a toggle switch in the wiring circuit to the compressor. . .

May as well... all the cop cars had a compressor cut off.

Normally I agree with your assessments, but this one I find confusing at best. Why not reason that if you want air conditioning to be running, you activate it and if you do not, you push "off". I don't see why you would add more complexity to it than that??? Chrysler did incorporate in the 1970 - 72 models at least (maybe earlier ones too) a time delay using a restart module mounted on the "heater box" in the engine department on startups to avoid fogging the windows.

The 1973 system was a one year only at best and a screw up IMO unless it somehow carried over into some of the formals and I was unaware of it? Some nervous nellie in the interior heating/cooling department was overly concerned about instantly fogging up the windshield under certain temperature/humidity conditions by turning on the compressor at just the wrong time. The life and durability of the RV2 compressor and the air conditioning systems in general was already challenged with just using them normally. Idle quality using that RV2 compressor was poor at best compared to GM vehicles for example too (which used more advanced rotary compressors) - why put up with it when you don't need to??

I actually visited the department handling vehicle interior cooling systems at the time within the Highland Park Engineering center when I started working there in 1969 and asked them why Chrysler was so behind the times in continuing to use that RV2 compressor and the only answer I got was an embarassed reply from their chief cooling expert that it had more "capacity" than the rotary compressors for such tasks as rear a/c units in station wagons - that same compressor dated back into the late 50s. That department felt like "sleepy hollow" - not really much of a competitive spirit at all. Very disappointing and it cost Chrysler a huge number of sales when you compared their systems in the 70s to what GM was doing. Night and day.

First off, most of my knowledge concerning Mopar A/C systems is not hands-on experience but is nerd wisdom that I gained through reading contemporary material. Like this April 1971 explanation of the ATC II system in the Master Technician Service Conference booklet series.

And yes, there was even a time delay to avoid fogging the windows when starting the engine and the A/C still being "warm". Here is a section of the respective wiring diagram showing the power supply to the compressor clutch.

compressor_circuit.jpg

Normally I agree with your assessments, but this one I find confusing at best. Why not reason that if you want air conditioning to be running, you activate it and if you do not, you push "off". I don't see why you would add more complexity to it than that??? Chrysler did incorporate in the 1970 - 72 models at least (maybe earlier ones too) a time delay using a restart module mounted on the "heater box" in the engine department on startups to avoid fogging the windows.

The 1973 system was a one year only at best and a screw up IMO unless it somehow carried over into some of the formals and I was unaware of it? Some nervous nellie in the interior heating/cooling department was overly concerned about instantly fogging up the windshield under certain temperature/humidity conditions by turning on the compressor at just the wrong time. The life and durability of the RV2 compressor and the air conditioning systems in general was already challenged with just using them normally. Idle quality using that RV2 compressor was poor at best compared to GM vehicles for example too (which used more advanced rotary compressors) - why put up with it when you don't need to??

I actually visited the department handling vehicle interior cooling systems at the time within the Highland Park Engineering center when I started working there in 1969 and asked them why Chrysler was so behind the times in continuing to use that RV2 compressor and the only answer I got was an embarassed reply from their chief cooling expert that it had more "capacity" than the rotary compressors for such tasks as rear a/c units in station wagons - that same compressor dated back into the late 50s. That department felt like "sleepy hollow" - not really much of a competitive spirit at all. Very disappointing and it cost Chrysler a huge number of sales when you compared their systems in the 70s to what GM was doing. Night and day.
Fantastic information! Thank you, Steve, for being such a great resource.

Now I understand why the compressor is so big. It’s primitive.

I have a 1973 Dodge. If you have a picture with the 1971-2 switch added to a 1973 instrument panel, I would be very grateful to see it.

Fantastic information! Thank you, Steve, for being such a great resource.

Now I understand why the compressor is so big. It’s primitive.

I have a 1973 Dodge. If you have a picture with the 1971-2 switch added to a 1973 instrument panel, I would be very grateful to see it.

I will have to check my nos switch control units to see if I might have one of those stashed away for a 1973 model vs the earlier ones. I probably have some of each but finding them is another story. I have a large stash of new parts to sort through for these fuselage cars.

I will have to check my nos switch control units to see if I might have one of those stashed away for a 1973 model vs the earlier ones. I probably have some of each but finding them is another story. I have a large stash of new parts to sort through for these fuselage cars.
Hi Steve
This is what my 1973 Dodge AC control unit looks like. I'm ignorant on this matter. Where and how would the 1971-72 switch install? Thanks, Ben
PXL_20210706_013414591.jpg

Hi Steve
This is what my 1973 Dodge AC control unit looks like. I'm ignorant on this matter. Where and how would the 1971-72 switch install? Thanks, Ben
View attachment 471248

The difference is on the other side of the switch, behind the instrument panel. There is an added switch above the actual push button control behind the instrument panel. The front of the instrument panel would look the same as yours.

The difference is on the other side of the switch, behind the instrument panel. There is an added switch above the actual push button control behind the instrument panel. The front of the instrument panel would look the same as yours.
Thanks! Sorry about the belated reply, but I was out of town on vacation with my family. Had to ignore cars to focus on people.

The following chart is from the 1971 shop manual. See last line for A/C comperssor clutch operation. The 1971 System still had the Time Delay Relay that Steve so rightfully mentioned.

1971 Chart.jpg

The following chart is from the 1973 shop manual. See last line for A/C comperssor clutch operation. The 1973 System no longer had the Time Delay Relay but featured a new switch attached to the temperature lever.

1973 Chart.jpg

1973_Switch.jpg

The following chart is from the 1971 shop manual. See last line for A/C comperssor clutch operation. The 1971 System still had the Time Delay Relay that Steve so rightfully mentioned.

View attachment 475024

The following chart is from the 1973 shop manual. See last line for A/C comperssor clutch operation. The 1973 System no longer had the Time Delay Relay but featured a new switch attached to the temperature lever.

View attachment 475025

View attachment 475026

Yes, that is the switch I was referring to. Thank you ceebuddy for posting this!!

Guys: I'm having a helluva time trying to find front sway bar parts. Apparently, there is no such thing as an after-market sway bar for a '73 Newport, and other parts such as correct bushings and end-links for the same are a no-bueno too. Just received two Moog end links that bear no resemblance to the original links on the car. . . Does anyone have a handle on where I can find the correct aforementioned parts?

Back