Rip's New '73 Navajo

@Ripinator -- I don't know where you see the tips on your tag. Here is the decode:

CL: Chrysler Newport
23: 2 Door Hardtop

M: 400 cid V8
3: 1973 Model Year
C: Jefferson Avenue, MI, USA

317117: Sequence number

E63: 400 cid V8
D34: Automatic Transmission
JK3: Navajo Orange Exterior Color
B1KW: Trim - White Vinyl/Burnt Orange Navajo Cloth Interior
000: Full Door Panels
703: Build Date: July 03
200521: Order number

V1W: Full Vinyl Top, White
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
R13: Deluxe AM Radio (5 1/2 Watts)
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
N88: Auto Speed Control

G11: Tinted Glass (all)
V7V: Accent Stripes, Orange

Do you have the build sheet?

In related matters, your build date is July 3 -- the last Navajo tag I have seen. Here is the fender tag of CL23M3C256755, a car that I looked at seriously in June of this year -- the SPD is March 29:

View attachment 390603

Michel:

I ran the decoder again. I must have made a positional error when I originally entered the codes in the decoder, which caused the chrome exhaust extensions to erroneously appear:

CL23:
Chrysler
Low
2 Door Hardtop

M3C: 400 175HP(net) OR 185HP(net) 1-2BBL 8 CYL
Jefferson Avenue, MI, USA

E63: 383 cid 4 barrel V8 H.P. 335hp
D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission
JK3: Unknown Exterior Color
B1KW: Trim - Basic, Unknown, White/Burnt Orange

Michel:

I ran the decoder again. I must have made a positional error when I originally entered the codes in the decoder, which caused the chrome exhaust extensions to erroneously appear:

CL23:
Chrysler
Low
2 Door Hardtop

M3C: 400 175HP(net) OR 185HP(net) 1-2BBL 8 CYL
Jefferson Avenue, MI, USA

E63: 383 cid 4 barrel V8 H.P. 335hp
D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission
JK3: Unknown Exterior Color
B1KW: Trim - Basic, Unknown, White/Burnt Orange

Interesting you decoded it with two engine sizes. Obviously a 400, I would throw your decoder away unless its operator error. In which case, its your call. :poke:

Does that mean you disagree on the dual exhaust? I should have said civilian C bodies, since we know that it was available on the smaller cars. I should also qualify it as "not available as a regular production option". There's always the possibility that someone with connections could get whatever they wanted. The all time prime example of that being the 1972 Fury wagon with the factory sunroof.

Jeff

I'm not convinced a blanket statement could be made that no dual exhaust could be had on civilian C bodies after 72. In fact I think you are wrong.

Interesting you decoded it with two engine sizes. Obviously a 400, I would throw your decoder away unless its operator error. In which case, its your call. :poke:

Well. . . It's interesting. Both codes (E63 and M3C) are present on the tag. I've seen some sources say 'E63' means either a 400 or a 383 cu. in. engine, so I guess I'm pretty sure I have the 400 engine. . .

Well. . . It's interesting. Both codes (E63 and M3C) are present on the tag. I've seen some sources say 'E63' means either a 400 or a 383 cu. in. engine, so I guess I'm pretty sure I have the 400 engine. . .
The 383 was done after 71. The 400 was introduced for 72.

I'm not convinced a blanket statement could be made that no dual exhaust could be had on civilian C bodies after 72. In fact I think you are wrong.
Certain 1974 400's had duals. It was a cop 400 but there were a lot of circumstances the duals ended up on civilian 400's.
@Mr C ?

Certain 1974 400's had duals. It was a cop 400 but there were a lot of circumstances the duals ended up on civilian 400's.
@Mr C ?

My Pop Pop had one, 74 Monaco, 400-4 he ordered new, 4 dr sedan triple blue. He insisted on radio delete, it came through with the radio.

I could be, though I'd like to see one to convince me completely.

The black, sunroof '72 Fury Gran Coupe doesn't count, since it was ordered by a cop who got special treatment from the dealer.

Jeff

I could be, though I'd like to see one to convince me completely.

The black, sunroof '72 Fury Gran Coupe doesn't count, since it was ordered by a cop who got special treatment from the dealer.

Jeff

Not even considering that one but you can't discount all examples

I am not so sure on this point, as I can't recall seeing such a system on a C body after 1972 either.

But since Dave's dad ordered one with duals and got it, that seems to be pretty solid then.

If there was to be a definite candidate for one, it was my previously owned 73 Black Monaco wagon equipped with a 440 and even the dual snorkel air cleaner that all the C body Dodges got in 1973 even if they weren't cop cars. And mine even had the trailer tow package.

It didn't have duals.

2004-01-01 00.00.09.jpg

2004-01-01 00.00.14.jpg

I am not so sure on this point, as I can't recall seeing such a system on a C body after 1972.

But since Dave's dad ordered one with duals and got it, that seems to be pretty solid then.

If there was to be a definite candidate for one, it was my previously owned 73 Black Monaco wagon equipped with a 440 and even the dual snorkel air cleaner that all the C body Dodges got in 1973 even if they weren't cop cars. And mine even had the trailer tow package.

It didn't have duals.

View attachment 390642

View attachment 390643

It was my grandfather, I honestly don't know if it had duals , I certainly didn't mean to imply that. I do recall him saying it was a police package when he was looking for parts later in years.
. Hell, I was 8 when he ordered it.

I do recall seeing C body wagons with duals. Specifically ‘69 T&Cs.

Duals could be had, but only when you optioned up to the HP engine, and after 72, few did.

This is partly because it was harder to option up as the brochures did not mention the HP engines...even though they existed...as mentioned you had to really want the HP and go scratching to get it. Most couldn't be bothered and were happy optioning their tow car with the 440.

The 74-77 FSM does not say anything about police only, it only says P,D,C dual exhaust system. I went hunting in my 77 FSM and its there.

Buttercup, my 1972 NYB 2-door, will be getting new shocks in a week or so. I have bought the KYBs and will post about the experience of @71Polara383 with their installation. The shocks on Ming, my 1973 4-door, still seem in good shape -- but if after test-driving her I conclude that they should be changed, I shall do the same and report.

Back