Rip's New '73 Navajo

Buttercup, my 1972 NYB 2-door, will be getting new shocks in a week or so. I have bought the KYBs and will post about the experience of @71Polara383 with their installation. The shocks on Ming, my 1973 4-door, still seem in good shape -- but if after test-driving her I conclude that they should be changed, I shall do the same and report.

Are you using the KYB 5512s on the rear? They were not long enough for my '73.

Are you using the KYB 5512s on the rear? They were not long enough for my '73.

They are what I have bought, yes. Whether they will fit or not is the question -- the documents I read indicate that they should, but your experience suggests otherwise. That is a riddle I want to solve -- whether it is specific to your Navajo, to 2-door 1973s, to all 1973s, or to all NYBs from 1972 onward. If they don't work, I should be able to find a 1971 Polara to put them on :)

They are what I have bought, yes. Whether they will fit or not is the question -- the documents I read indicate that they should, but your experience suggests otherwise. That is a riddle I want to solve -- whether it is specific to your Navajo, to 2-door 1973s, to all 1973s, or to all NYBs from 1972 onward. If they don't work, I should be able to find a 1971 Polara to put them on :)

The 5512s fit and work fine on my '66 300 coupe. The Shocks Plus guys (where I ordered my shocks in the first place) finally told me that KYB does not make a rear shock for a '73 Chrysler.

@live4theking: I have KG5512 rear shocks on Poppy, my '70 Polara 'vert. I like them so much that got a pair for Medina, my '71 Monaco. @71Polara383 installed them in March of this year, and they are a big improvement over the rear air shocks that used to be on that car.
Looking for shocks for 70 Fury convertible. Think I found my answer. Any side-view pics of ride height for 70 Polara? Thanks, Ben

Looking for shocks for 70 Fury convertible. Think I found my answer. Any side-view pics of ride height for 70 Polara? Thanks, Ben

All of my cars have KYBs and original springs. I have a number of pics in the Fusie Pics thread. Here is one of Poppy, my red 1970 convertible Polara, from the angle you probably want.

There is a thorough discussion of ride height in the thread from when I bought Poppy. Here are photos that show the factory stance.

The ride height is determined primarily by your springs, not your shock absorbers.

Medina, my ‘71 Monaco, had air shocks when I bought her. Original springs. Her butt stuck in the air. With the KYBs, her stance is back to original.

Last edited:
All of my cars have KYBs and original springs. I have a number of pics in the Fusie Pics thread. Here is one of Poppy, my red 1970 convertible Polara, from the angle you probably want.

There is a thorough discussion of ride height in the thread from when I bought Poppy. Here are photos that show the factory stance.

Medina, my ‘71 Monaco, had air shocks when I bought her. Original springs. Her butt stuck in the air. With the KYBs, her stance is back to original.

Of course with adjustable shocks or bags or any other adjustable device the height will vary.

Your car is likely not original height . I'd wager the springs have sagged more than you'd ever know. As I stated, your springs determine the rear height.
There's a reason you've seen me write time after time that the springs are the first thing I change after the purchase of a old car.

Your car is likely not original height . I'd wager the springs have sagged more than you'd ever know. As I stated, your springs determine the rear height.

It’d be silly of me to argue that there might be no sag at all after half a century. This said, the stance of Poppy (and, for that matter, my other cars too) looks very close to original. That is why I provided the factory photos.

The ride height is determined primarily by your springs, not your shock absorbers.
Hi Dave,
I AGREE. However, I didn't know what springs Ayilar had. He could have had anything from flat stance to screeching cat rear. My car has 5 leaf; a 70 Sport Fury I had was converted to 6 leaf with high rear. I looked up KG5512. It is stock for 1965-1970 Fury and 1974-1977 full size Fury, as well as (more important to you) 1965-1977 Dodge Full Size all. KG5512 22.64" center to center is exact same as my current springs. My car has a Flat stance.
Of course with adjustable shocks or bags or any other adjustable device the height will vary. Your car is likely not original height . I'd wager the springs have sagged more than you'd ever know. As I stated, your springs determine the rear height. There's a reason you've seen me write time after time that the springs are the first thing I change after the purchase of a old car.
I put yellow Monroe Magnum truck shocks on the back of a 1969 Monaco 4-door hardtop and they did change the ride height. No Screeching cat, but higher than stock. Of course, that was 22 years ago. Since you bring up the subject, where do you recommend I buy springs that maintain flat stance for a 1970 Fury convertible?
Thanks, Ben

All of my cars have KYBs and original springs. I have a number of pics in the Fusie Pics thread. Here is one of Poppy, my red 1970 convertible Polara, from the angle you probably want. There is a thorough discussion of ride height in the thread from when I bought Poppy. Here are photos that show the factory stance. Medina, my ‘71 Monaco, had air shocks when I bought her. Original springs. Her butt stuck in the air. With the KYBs, her stance is back to original.
It’d be silly of me to argue that there might be no sag at all after half a century. This said, the stance of Poppy (and, for that matter, my other cars too) looks very close to original. That is why I provided the factory photos.
THANK YOU!!!
Information on original springs, original ride height, and the first picture from Smitty's garage were what I needed. Maybe new springs are in the future, but the 1970 Fury convertible has sucked up $7000-$8000 this year. I've got a kid in college and just paid out another $12000 for that. Thanks, Ben

As you've probably seen here so many have their favorite spring store. I prefer www.ESPO.com aka Springs & Things.
Five of the last 6 Polaras I've had I replaced springs purchased from ESPO.
All 1" over stock height. Two 6 leaf sets and the others were 7. That was out of want not need.
The more spring you have the more stiff the ride will be. That is not a bad thing because the ride isn't that stiff.
I used Bilstein shocks and put a rear sway bar on this current car.

For what its worth, I presume the wrong shock would alter the height. By that I mean, if you stick a giant oversized shock under there , sure it would raise it. If you compress the suspension and put a Datsun shock under there the car would be lower....I guess

20180930_141840.jpg

Aside from air shocks or helper spring type shocks etc., the ONLY way a shock will change the height of a car is if it's bottomed out, bent or otherwise stuck.

The function of the shock absorber is to dampen the suspension. If you drive a car with bad shocks (bad like they are missing) the car will bounce up and down.

If you take a conventional "twin tube" shock off (like the OEM shock) all you have to do is unbolt it. The car doesn't fall... A gas charged shock will have a very small amount of pressure that will make it want to extend, but it's no where near enough pressure to change the ride height.

Anyone that thinks this has happened when they put new shocks on is either imagining it or the car's springs haven't settled back down (friction in the leaf springs for example) after jacking the car up and it will settle down as soon as you drive it a few miles.

Aside from air shocks or helper spring type shocks etc., the ONLY way a shock will change the height of a car is if it's bottomed out, bent or otherwise stuck.

The function of the shock absorber is to dampen the suspension. If you drive a car with bad shocks (bad like they are missing) the car will bounce up and down.

If you take a conventional "twin tube" shock off (like the OEM shock) all you have to do is unbolt it. The car doesn't fall... A gas charged shock will have a very small amount of pressure that will make it want to extend, but it's no where near enough pressure to change the ride height.

Anyone that thinks this has happened when they put new shocks on is either imagining it or the car's springs haven't settled back down (friction in the leaf springs for example) after jacking the car up and it will settle down as soon as you drive it a few miles.
Hi Big John
I respect your opinion and knowledge, as always, but you'll NEVER convince me that Monroe yellow gas magnum truck shocks didn't raise the rear of the 1969 Monaco car. I wasn't the only one who noticed. I had a friend ask me what I did to raise the height of the rear. I said, "I put shocks on it." He said, "You did that with shocks?" His comment was completely unsolicited. That's 2 eye witnesses seeing the same thing. I drove that car for 28000 miles. The rear never sagged down to stock.
The shocks may have been 34832.
34832 :: e-Catalog :: MONROE® SHOCKS & STRUTS
Stock extended length is 22.64", center to center. These truck shocks were stiff, made for heavy loads, and 1.73" longer than stock. Maybe that raised the rear some. We'll have to agree to disagree. All the best, Ben

BTW, I ordered KYB KG5512 for 70 Fury conv. thanks @ayilar

Happy to help! Now to be clear, on all three Dodges I have installed KYB Gas-A-Just KG4507 (pair) for the front and KG5512 (pair) for the rear.
Thanks for the tip, Ayilar. I'll need to do front shocks eventually. First, I'm going to see how the back sets up without 20+ year-old rusty helper springs. I may have to take @polara71 Dave's advice and buy new leaf springs first, or have Thurston Spring re-arch/rebuild mine. (Exhaust has been adjusted since pic.)
IMG_20200929_161220 shock hits pipe.jpg

take @polara71 Dave's advice and buy new leaf springs first, or have Thurston Spring re-arch/rebuild mine

I know we're disagreeing on shocks :poke: but don't waste your time and money on re-arching/rebuilding.

Also, don't forget that the offset rear shackles aren't obtainable new, even though there are listings for them. Most likely, the spring shop is just going to bust the old ones.

Also, don't forget that the offset rear shackles aren't obtainable new, even though there are listings for them. Most likely, the spring shop is just going to bust the old ones.
Hi Big John. Need advice.
If they're going to bust the rear shackles, how do I get them off without busting them to put them on the new springs? Thanks, Ben

s
Hi Big John. Need advice.
If they're going to bust the rear shackles, how do I get them off without busting them to put them on the new springs? Thanks, Ben
Soak the Hell out of them and hope for the best. ( for days)

You can get used from Murray but it will cost you. He will break 3 to get 1.

Back