Road Wheel Paint

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I am going to put road wheels on my 1970 Plymouth Fury convertible. I bought a set in South Carolina and am starting to paint them to get them ready. So far I am using POR 15 gloss black chassis paint on the rear and sides. I know the center front should be Argent Silver. Are you all just taping off the chrome area so you can go ahead and paint the front of the rim in Argent Silver. Or do you make some kind of pattern and cut out the material to cover the chrome. What you think the best process is for painting the center? Thanks

Current rims have rust, not visible
2.jpg

PXL_20220301_204144156.jpg

PXL_20220301_204156011.jpg

I'll toss this out there...

Smear Vaseline on the chrome where you don't want paint and wipe it off when done.

I'm thinking that on the set of W23s which were factory on my '70 DH43, that the silver paint feathered a bit toward the edge of the chrome area where the slots are? Not a hard line, but a feathered line. I suspect the factory had some sort of shield that was placed over the chrome while the argent paint was fogged on. Had to be simple and easy to do, all things considered. And easily repeatable.

Just a thought,
CBODY67

I just taped them off, when I did a set. Was years ago, but I don't remember it being very hard. Worked well . . .

I used duct tape prior to prepping for paint to protect the chrome finish. Doing that gives a better overall appearance. Choice off paint was extreme heat Rust-Oleum Paint silver and Rust-Oleum Matte Black for the rims. What us see below was applied in 2017. Very durable.

20210704_140054.jpg

Another option is to paint over the chrome and with a damp cloth (lacquer thinner) gently rub it off the chrome only. Paint comes chrome easy. Even easier if its only been on there 24hrs or so. Make sure you change up the cloth to avoid paint buildup and for sure don't put too much thinner on to avoid drips. For small areas I have painted over and removed the paint i didn't want with the back of exacto knife. Like the rear ash tray lids. Painted the back without masking and rubbed off the overspray. This is too big for that but you can easily straighten the chrome - paint line with this same hard straight edge. With practice you may be able to produce the feathered effect by using even less thinner and little more force which will clear only the top of the chrome trim.

I am going to put road wheels on my 1970 Plymouth Fury convertible. I bought a set in South Carolina and am starting to paint them to get them ready. So far I am using POR 15 gloss black chassis paint on the rear and sides. I know the center front should be Argent Silver. Are you all just taping off the chrome area so you can go ahead and paint the front of the rim in Argent Silver. Or do you make some kind of pattern and cut out the material to cover the chrome. What you think the best process is for painting the center? Thanks

Current rims have rust, not visible
View attachment 517893
View attachment 517894
View attachment 517895

Here ya go. . .

Road Wheel Rehab 1.jpg

Road Wheel Rehab 2.jpg

Road Wheel Rehab 3.jpg

Road Wheel Trim Rings.jpg

Road Wheels Assembled.jpg

Tip: preheat your oven to 160 degrees. Put wheel in for a few minutes prior to painting the silver portion of the wheel..
Spray light coats evenly so the metallics in the paint lays down evenly.
I ususly do 3 thin coats and let each coat set before spraying again.
Too thick and the metallics will run or set as tiger stripes.
I used either Mopar Argent silver wheel paint or Duplicolor wheel paint.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Tip: preheat your oven to 160 degrees. Put wheel in for a few minutes prior to painting the silver portion of the wheel..
Spray light coats evenly so the metallics in the paint lays down evenly.
I ususly do 3 thin coats and let each coat set before spraying again.
Too thick and the metallics will run or set as tiger stripes.
I used either Mopar Argent silver wheel paint or Duplicolor wheel paint.
Hope this helps.
Or instead of the oven method you can just come to Phoenix and paint them. We have a huge solar oven here.

Back