RTS Buses (continued)

You must have been talking to Pete Papas. He's a great guy, and helped me out with some problems that I had.

Things have changed quite a bit in the last 15-20 years with the bus conversion hobby. Back then it was really going strong, but the increase in diesel prices really put a damper on the lower budget bus converters. When I bought the VTA bus in '02 diesel was $1.45 a gallon, and still under $2 in '06 when I brought the GGT bus home. The spike up to $4.50 really killed many peoples dreams of traveling around the country on a reasonable budget. The other big change has been the increase in quality of the commercially built motor homes. Back then, most of the affordable used RVs were what we called "sticks and staples" construction: basically an aluminum-sided, wood box attached to a stretched out delivery van frame. The build quality was generally pretty bad and they were death traps if you were ever in an accident. They also handled like what they were, a tool shed on wheels. I had a class C Dodge, and every time a semi passed me on the highway, it would blow me 4 feet over onto the shoulder. The RTS is considered the "sports car" of buses. They handle amazingly well, even on pretty twisty roads, and for a transit bus, roll down the highway surprisingly well. Passing semis don't even budge it, and they are very safe in an accident. Almost 20 years later, commercial RV's are nothing like they used to be, and older ones can be had for pennies on the dollar of their original cost. It no longer makes financial sense to do a conversion just to save money. Conversions are now done more on the classic buses, like the Eagles, and more done for style or to have something different from the average RV'er.

Parked parallel to the road, it takes up four spots. I had seven spots for a long time, but now that we don't have much to sell, I've cut it down to five, and we split the cost between four people, so it's not too bad.

The V-drive ZF is actually an adapter bolted onto a regular ZF straight drive transmission, so I don't think parts availability would be an issue. At some point in the 1990's I think they switched completely to the ZF behind the Series 50 and Cummins M-11. It was also used in some other transits, maybe the later Flxibles and one of the European built buses, possibly a Neoplan. GGT originally had reliability problems with the ZF and had factory reps out there to investigate the problem. The solution was to switch from ATF to 15W-40 motor oil. On my trip home, temps dropped into the mid-twenties overnight while I was sleeping in a hotel, and that transmission was NOT happy with that thick oil when I fired it up in the morning. It was howling for at least five minutes until it could build a little heat to thin it out. The ZF also has a built in hydraulic retarder that activates when you step on the brakes, and it works really nice.

View attachment 212938
High scrap prices and a lousy economic situation killed a bunch of them, the timing couldn't have been better for local zoning/code enforcement folks to force many owners/hoarders to destroy so much historical iron. Busses are just too big for most folks to keep, or keep hidden from the folks who want to get rid of all old vehicles.

I think of "sticks and staples" as "Styrofoam and paneling"... but same idea. My Blue Bird was a joy to drive after the '78 Dodge chassis class A I had. I'm pretty sure the RTS would be a much more fun to drive machine over my All American... she has a big *** and requires the operator to account for the swing, but probably has a better turning radius because of it.

Good to know that at least most of the ZF shouldn't be too hard to find... IDK what the heavy transmission parts are like, but hopefully not too stupid $$.

she has a big *** and requires the operator to account for the swing,
School busses are getting absurdly dangerous.

School_bus_-_Thomas_-_Saf-T-Liner_C2_-_rear_view_-_Kennebunk.jpg

The Class 8 semi-tractor that Ford introduced to replace the Louisville was a super improvement. Ford let it go to Mercedes for cheap money because the new line was a sales disaster, when compared to the popularity of the Louisville. Don't know why that happened. Great tractor.
Mercedes had a multi-year plan to to swallow up the low end/high volume class 8 market and hey were going to use the Sterling to break the stranglehold Ford and International had on it. Feature for feature, an International was thousands less than other comparable tractors.
Guessing that they figured out to totally trash the new Freightliners was cheaper.
Everywhere, all you see now, Cascadias. And they are all white. White generic blobs with automatic transmissions. Driven by idiots.
Don't get me started...
Mercedes trucks or truck engines.
I really would love to meet someone who bought a Mercedes car after they drove a Mercedes truck or truck engine. That person (I can't imagine 2 people would have done this) needs to have a warning label tattooed on their forehead to warn all of us.

The Class 8 semi-tractor that Ford introduced to replace the Louisville was a super improvement. Ford let it go to Mercedes for cheap money because the new line was a sales disaster, when compared to the popularity of the Louisville. Don't know why that happened. Great tractor.
Mercedes had a multi-year plan to to swallow up the low end/high volume class 8 market and hey were going to use the Sterling to break the stranglehold Ford and International had on it. Feature for feature, an International was thousands less than other comparable tractors.
Guessing that they figured out to totally trash the new Freightliners was cheaper.
Everywhere, all you see now, Cascadias. And they are all white. White generic blobs with automatic transmissions. Driven by idiots.
Don't get me started...

I read a well done article about the new Fords/Sterlings a while back. Ford spent $500 million developing the new design, then two years later sold their entire heavy truck division to Daimler for $220 million. In addition to the US and Canadian factories, they also got the place in Brazil that made the cab over "Cargo" models. Sterling was a strange set-up. The heavy trucks were Ford, then after the Chrysler "merge" they added Sterling badged heavy duty Dodge pickups and Chassis, and they also sold re-branded Isuzu medium duty trucks, which gets you a General Motors connection. Basically, GM, Ford, and Chrysler products all under the same roof.

I have a 1973 Louisville dump truck, and it's worlds apart from the Sterling. Ford actually did design the first of the "modern" design trucks. They were out in '96 and everyone else followed in '98. They actually just re-entered the heavy truck market this year with a new, European style cabover. It's pretty much available everywhere in the world except the US. Now that they are dropping most all of their car production, you wonder if they will try again in the US with more larger trucks. GM just got back into the medium duty market for either '18 or'19 after about a ten year absence since the restructuring.

012013-ford-cargo-extra-heavy-duty.jpg

Back