Sadie - 1974 Imperial LeBaron

The only thing you need to do is strip off the trunk lid pinstripe and buff the paint where it was. Only 78 NYBs got that kind of pinstripe treatment. Looks out of place on what looks like a time capsule.
Could that have been done by the dealership when new? I'm thinking it would be odd to add that stripe later on a car that saw so few miles.
I noticed that after researching a bit more. I think I will keep it on there for now. My ability with classic cars is still pretty new. I've always researched classic cars since I was little but only now actually have the chance at owning a real one. I'd be much too afraid of damaging the paint by doing it myself. Thank you for the information on the pinstripes though!
I'm with you, it would suck to mar the finish removing the stripe.

She made it! Ran perfect the entire way from Central IL to TN. Extremely proud of her and the next thing to do after letting her cool off will be to give her a good bath because she took out a lot of bugs on the highway.
All bugs should be so lucky.

Sorry, but the execution of the pinstripe is down right ugly. And I mean really ugly. It's gotto go! Or at least do it right.

PicsArt_07-05-10.39.54.jpg

well like I said I’ll have to wait on that one. I don’t have any means of removing it right now but I’ll add it to my to do list. The last thing I want to do is damage something I should’ve had a professional do.

Last edited:
well like I said I’ll have to wait on that one. I don’t have any means of removing it right now but I’ll add it to my to do list. The last thing I want to do is damage something I should’ve had a professional do.
Has anybody asked yet if it's tape or paint?

No not yet so far it’s mostly been people looking at the car and complimenting it thankfully! We’re going to take her to a local mechanic who works on older vehicles and I might ask about it. Right now I have to replace a window regulator and then figure out the reason for the rough idling. That’ll have to come first before I do anything cosmetic. I will say I’m pretty sure it’s just tape. Still don’t want to mess with it on my own though.

It’s got to go Collin!

Please!

It should come off easy enough.

47698C92-5004-4AFA-838B-142F078863CE.png

0B1F6DB5-B3BF-4C35-83EE-86D62FE43E3D.png

Just follow the instructions, look at some YouTube videos and use a light touch to avoid heating up the paint.

Easy peasy

Last edited:
Thanks for the links! I’m willing to bet it was an add on by the Chrysler Dealer. My Grandfather had told me that they used to dress up some of their cars occasionally with extra pinstriping at different dealerships when he worked at them in 1975 and onward. He worked at GM Dealerships back then but I would assume that MOPAR dealerships weren’t much different in that practice. Because of that I’ll likely leave it on for now. It still has the original Stratford, Iowa dealer sticker on the window from when the car was brand new.

Last edited:
Sorry, but the execution of the pinstripe is down right ugly. And I mean really ugly. It's gotto go! Or at least do it right.

View attachment 196006

Ultimately... it’s your car Collin.

We all truly respect that. It’s just that the poorly executed stripes on the trunk are grating to our eyes on such a beautiful car.

For us, it’s like looking at a beautiful young lady with crooked teeth.

2083EA88-D3D2-40E8-BE60-46A83663B1F4.jpeg

Ultimately... it’s your car Collin.

We all truly respect that. It’s just that the stripes on the trunk are grating to our eyes on such a beautiful car.

For us it’s not JR looking at a beautiful young lady with a crooked gold tooth.

Nice comparison :rolleyes:. I'll look at doing something about the trunk stripe soon, I really do appreciate learning about the 1978-Exclusive trunk stripe. That's one of the many things I adore about this site which is getting to learn from experienced collectors and enthusiasts on this type of automobile and its history. I will look into possibly doing something about the stripe. Maybe for now I'll just get front/side photos till I can get the stripe removed. For now I'm mostly concerned with making sure the vehicle is mechanically robust (Window reg, idling, belts etc) before I can start spending money on the cosmetics (small dents, minor paint touch ups, striping). I'd much rather have the car functioning soundly in all manners first before I can begin spending money on the beautification process (Full time College makes money tight at times due to working certain hours.) So far I've added necessary fluids (Dexron Trans, Antifreeze, Oil, Steering) then I'll be taking her to a trusted mechanic for a good inspection, so then I can start spending money on necessary repairs and adjustments. As the stripes stand now, I am in no hurry to remove them as I'm pretty confident the Chrysler Dealer added them on, but I do understand the reasoning. The stripe is on my to do list.

Last edited:
You know it! Your gorgeous Silver 1978 NYB would look pretty sweet parked next to the 1974 Imp!

Last edited:
The only aftermarket thing I’m looking to do is install a RediRad at some point so I can play music from my phone while preserving the original radio unit (it works pretty well). Other than that I don’t plan on altering or changing anything at all aside from minor parts that require it after normal wear and tear. Even have a playlist for the car on my phone for when I can start using it.

The only aftermarket thing I’m looking to do is install a RediRad at some point so I can play music from my phone while preserving the original radio unit (it works pretty well). Other than that I don’t plan on altering or changing anything at all aside from minor parts that require it after normal wear and tear. Even have a playlist for the car on my phone for when I can start using it.
RediRad:stop:...:confused:...I must be an oldster.:lol:

RediRad:stop:...:confused:...I must be an oldster.:lol:

REDIRAD - Rescue Your Radio Apparently it’s a system that preserves your radio while allowing you to play music from a phone. It’s pretty much the only thing I can think of outside of getting an aftermarket radio (that’ll happen when hell freezes over). It’s a small device though and from what I read it doesn’t require any drilling or altering of the vehicle. It’s more of a removable add on if anything.

REDIRAD - Rescue Your Radio Apparently it’s a system that preserves your radio while allowing you to play music from a phone. It’s pretty much the only thing I can think of outside of getting an aftermarket radio (that’ll happen when hell freezes over). It’s a small device though and from what I read it doesn’t require any drilling or altering of the vehicle. It’s more of a removable add on if anything.
Thanks. I thought i'd have to dial up on that intra-web thingy.:poke:

No not yet so far it’s mostly been people looking at the car and complimenting it thankfully! We’re going to take her to a local mechanic who works on older vehicles and I might ask about it. Right now I have to replace a window regulator and then figure out the reason for the rough idling. That’ll have to come first before I do anything cosmetic. I will say I’m pretty sure it’s just tape. Still don’t want to mess with it on my own though.

Does it have power windows?

Back