Safest lube for gas tank O ring?

Rusty Muffler

Reaction score
I'm getting a new gas tank for my 57 plymouth. I figure a silicone grease of some kind will work for the filler tube to tank but does it matter whether it's plumbers silicone or edible or what? I figure gasoline contact comes into play? Thanks as always.

I used a dab of wheel bearing grease. It doesn't eat rubber wheel seals so it should be safe for a rubber o ring.

I wondered about the same thing.
And oh the irony, I joined looking for a ‘57 Plymouth, it in my wanted post.

I wondered about the same thing.
And oh the irony, I joined looking for a ‘57 Plymouth, it in my wanted post.
I often thought about selling, especially when I'm aggravated about something I was fixing on this car. It's a 4 door Belvedere, zero rust, been inside most of it's life, and I've just about fixed every darn thing on it. Engine was a fresh rebuild when I installed it and is still breaking in. Body has been banged up and repaired and spot painted over the years but nothing serious. Maybe if interested you should PM me. I think there's more pics on this site?

I often thought about selling, especially when I'm aggravated about something I was fixing on this car. It's a 4 door Belvedere, zero rust, been inside most of it's life, and I've just about fixed every darn thing on it. Engine was a fresh rebuild when I installed it and is still breaking in. Body has been banged up and repaired and spot painted over the years but nothing serious. Maybe if interested you should PM me. I think there's more pics on this site?
Thanks but a 2dr is a must

Thanks but a 2dr is a must
57/58 Plymouth 2 door hardtops have a unique roof that is not shared with any others. They are not that easy to find and many have been turned into "Christines". 2 door and 4 door sedans have the same roof. a 4 door sedan could be converted to a 2 door sedan with some cutting and welding and 2 door sedan doors. People in the 55/56/57 group have been doing it for years.

57/58 Plymouth 2 door hardtops have a unique roof that is not shared with any others. They are not that easy to find and many have been turned into "Christines". 2 door and 4 door sedans have the same roof. a 4 door sedan could be converted to a 2 door sedan with some cutting and welding and 2 door sedan doors. People in the 55/56/57 group have been doing it for years.
It’s something to keep in mind.

I thought Dodge was the same roof? Is it not?

Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. Will not have adverse effects on anything rubber or silicon based.

One time I was replacing some o-rings on a Kohler faucet and used Vaseline on the o-rings and couldn't get the parts together.

Called Kohler to see if they sent the wrong o-rings and the tech asked what I used to lube the o-rings.
I told him Vaseline and he told me Vaseline would make the o-rings swell and to clean off all the Vaseline so I did and let the parts sit a day.
He said to use plumbers silicone lube.
Next day I applied the plumbers silicone lube and the parts slipped together without a problem.

I wouldn't have believed it but I seen it.
Most likely the tolerance was much tighter to be water tight.

Last edited:
I thought Dodge was the same roof? Is it not?
The 1957 dodge 2 door sport coupe had the same roof as the 1957-8 Belvedere/Savoy/Fury 2 door coupe. Then they got the smooth bubble style:
1709679919623.jpeg

Windshield PN's:

Imperial : (26"x78") : W465 : 1957-1958
(clear) 1651431
(Solex) 1690871

Sedans / wagons : (24"x74") : W454 : 1957-59 (all)
(clear) 1681706
(Solex) 1775045

Hardtops : (24"x74") : W451 : 1957 (all); 1958 (Plymouth)
(clear) 1681710
(Solex) 1775046

Convertibles : (28"x76") : W453 : 1957-1959 (all)
Hardtops : 1958 (Dodge,DeSoto,Chrysler); 1959 (all)
(clear) 1695690
(Solex) 1759485

The last windshield, W453, is the bubble top unit while the W451 is the flat windshield. The W numbers are a NAGS No.

Oh OK, makes sense, I knew about Plymouth hardtop not getting the bubble windshield until 1959, but I was thinking the roof was was the same, just the trim and gasket were different.

Last edited:
Back