SB TO BB

CEE BODY

Reaction score
Switching a 360 to a 440. Can I just do a motor mount swap or do I need to change the K?

C bodies don't have K frames.

For most C bodies that were equipped with a 360, you will usually be able to change motor mounts to get the engine in the hole as it were. Note that the 360 727 transmission will not bolt up to the 440 engine and the 7.5 rear end is not strong enough to handle the 440 torque curve. The radiator and fan shroud will also need to be changed. Most models also require a different throttle cable as well. Then you can deal with converting to front disc brakes if the vehicle is not so equipped. Power steering brackets and alternator brackets are also different. Would suggest finding a donor car to find all the odd parts to make this conversion.

Dave

Like Dave said a donor would be a great idea, all the little parts that you don't think of that you will need.

If I'm not mistaken, a 360-equipped C-body should have at least an 8 1/4" rear. Still not ideal, but it should survive for a bit.....just don't stomp on it too hard. The Chrysler 7 1/4, however, is a hopeless POS that will blow apart very quickly behind a 440.

If I'm not mistaken, a 360-equipped C-body should have at least an 8 1/4" rear. Still not ideal, but it should survive for a bit.....just don't stomp on it too hard. The Chrysler 7 1/4, however, is a hopeless POS that will blow apart very quickly behind a 440.

In 1972 the 360 with a 2BBL came standard with the smaller rear end because it did not put out enough horsepower to break anything. Most of the 4BBL variants had the 8 3/4" rear.

Dave

Prepare to do some wiring harness changes/alterations as the B/RB engines are physically larger engines. Different wiring lengths AND locations, in many situations. IF you can, get the full engine wiring harness from the bulkhead connector forward, with the 440.

CBODY67

Not that I am doing any of this myself, but such great information here from many knowledgeable guys.

Back