Score!!! What a deal on new Wheels and tires!

[QUOTE="Chad, post: taking manifold to machine shop in morning to plane and make sure seal is 100%. QUOTE]

Be careful with machining the mating surface of your manifolds. Especially with HP manifolds. To much and they will interfere with the valve cover and not seal correctly as well as not being able to access the bottom valve cover bolts.
.080 once made it necessary to use a gasket.

Be careful with machining the mating surface of your manifolds. Especially with HP manifolds. To much and they will interfere with the valve cover and not seal correctly as well as not being able to access the bottom valve cover bolts.
.080 once made it necessary to use a gasket.
Thanks. I have a small block so it used a gasket from the factory, and they aren’t HP manifolds. It was a PITA but I just got finished. Cleaned everything up really good and was easy to bolt up with all new hardware. I did wrestle getting the up pipe back onto the manifold, because the starter , steering, and downpipe itself made it a bit difficult. Otherwise though it’s all back together. I havent started it yet... but will post a video here shortly.
image.jpg

What is that tick-tick sound on acceleration? My Newport does the same thing especially up steep hills. I just assumed my timing needed adjustment but I would appreciate if someone would tell me if I'm wrong.
Just an update for you Jon. I removed the manifolds last night. Broke a couple studs, but with patience, a torch (oxyacetylene for me), and plenty of Kroil I was able to get them out. If you look a few posts back I posted the hardware needed if you replace existing bolts. Removing the manifolds from the downpipe was a bit tough. Had to get under car, shout a little, but wasn’t more than 10-15 mins under car.
Something very important was I went to my machinist and he let me use his planer (super low grit belt sander) and I was surprised how warped the manifolds were. I took a while to get them flush enough that I was convinced the gasket would seal. So if you do this 100% spend the $20 to have them planed. Also I know it’s a bit boo boo, but I used a Dab of high temp RTV at the very back part of the head where it’s narrowest, and a little around the front and rear studs where the water jackets are. What a MONSTER difference to be rid of that nasty tick tick noise!

Couple videos

Really worth it Jon!!!

Last edited:
What a difference in the quality feeling of the c body without the nasty ticky exhaust leak! Suddenly the entire experience is on another level.

What a difference in the quality feeling of the c body without the nasty ticky exhaust leak! Suddenly the entire experience is on another level.

Congratulations Chad, you may be starting to enjoy her more as she should be now... she's too big and heavy to plow through a slalom and not good race material against what's out there these days... but she will cruise in comfort and style like nothing today.

:thumbsup:

Back