SCT tool from Eastwood

Boyd

Reaction score
I have to tell you that I am so impressed with my SCT from Eastwood. Just stripped a 54 Chrysler door and a 63 Jeep Commando hood with a 40 grit drum. Then I used the 120 grit drum on the Jeep hood. Took me about the time it would take to get these to the sand blaster! Anyway, I will be interested in any bad experiences using the tool. If none, I would suggest one for every shop!

Jeep 63 hood 20220725_091643.jpg

SCT with 40 grit drum 20220725_091653.jpg

Thanks I've been looking at this as well. I still have a lot of paint striping to do. The new chemicals won't even touch the original coating, WTF, and my compressor will not keep up with the old DA. I spent about $800 in blasting the big panels last year, now I'm finding all kinds of warps and waves. The hood was perfect, now it will need work, lesson learned. And this was a water based blaster that was supposed to prevent warping.

Do any of you know whether this tool will not case any warps/waves over wide panels such as hoods/doors etc? Looks like a useful too for faster, safer stripping of panels at first glance...........................

Do any of you know whether this tool will not case any warps/waves over wide panels such as hoods/doors etc? Looks like a useful too for faster, safer stripping of panels at first glance...........................
I've watched a couple videos on it and I think if used with some amount of common sense, warping would not be a problem.

Here's a video of a guy using it. Now... This isn't the method I would use... I would take longer straight strokes and go across a larger section before going back over what I was stripping, but this guy is doing it in short strokes and going back over the same section multiple times. I would never do a circular motion with that tool. He shows putting his hand on the metal and saying it's just warm to the touch.

Possibly best used on stiffer panels and beams rather than on things like roof panels, hoods, and such which are flimsier, thinner panels, I suspect.

I've been seeing those and wondered how well they worked.

Harbor Freight has the same tool and dollars to donuts, it's made by the same place in China. 9 Amp Surface Conditioning Tool
You know, I like Eastwood's "how to" and "product review" videos so I will always support Eastwood's efforts to get the job done. Go ahead and enjoy Harbor Freight videos.

Not sure yet. Feels OK, but you never know until you put some primer on it. However, there is a speed control on the tool. Slow it down. The closer I got to the bare metal the slower I turned it down. Not as hot as the car parked in the sun.

You know, I like Eastwood's "how to" and "product review" videos so I will always support Eastwood's efforts to get the job done. Go ahead and enjoy Harbor Freight videos.

I wasn't trying to get into a Harbor Freight versus Eastwood debate.

I've bought a lot of stuff from Eastwood over the years. Some good experiences, some not so good and some bordered on just plain junk. Kind of typical from what I have seen.

Buy from where you want... I always like to see alternative sources myself. The video I posted was from someone that happened to be using a HF tool.

I've bought a lot of stuff from Eastwood over the years. Some good experiences, some not so good and some bordered on just plain junk. Kind of typical from what I have seen.

Buy from where you want... I always like to see alternative sources myself. The video I posted was from someone that happened to be using a HF tool.

My experience with Eastwood has been exactly the same. I'll be a perpetual customer of theirs.

Just for the record, I buy a lot from HF! Hard to beat their 20V tools!

well heat on a panel , my pop was a real metal finisher bodyman , hammer n dolly work , peck hammer n files . and he always finished every repair with the hand grinder , at 80 gritt he work heat that panel up passed a temp you would touch it at , you could feel the heat radiating from it . he would heat up the whole panel to keep it from warping out . so if your heating the whole panel to the same temp warping will be the least . after all panels don't warp out in the sun because its the whole panel heating up . here's a pic of him finishing up a repair as a young journeyman body and paint man .

image31.jpg

Back