searching for clean pit free vent window assemblies ??

loving mopars

Reaction score
anyone have any clean pit free front door vent window assemblies from 1958-59 chrysler desoto dodge 2 or 4 door HARDTOP models ? mine are pitted badly .... this is the style i need . I'm restoring a 59 dodge cr 4 drht . Thanks for any info.
vent  window 50%.JPG

Yes called big m and benny buckner already with NO luck on clean parts .

Last edited:
anyone have any clean pit free front door vent window assemblies from 1958-59 chrysler desoto dodge 2 or 4 door HARDTOP models ? mine are pitted badly .... this is the style i need . I'm restoring a 59 dodge cr 4 drht . Thanks for any info.View attachment 563049
Call Hidden Valley Auto Parts, Maricopa, AZ. Not sure but I think I saw one or two when I have been there.

Hmmm, BigM has the biggest selection of those on the planet? I’m surprised he didn’t have one!
Big M just said he didn't have any clean
pit free vents . but yeah ,,, you would think being in CA he would have some nice vent windows.

Big M just said he didn't have any clean
pit free vents . but yeah ,,, you would think being in CA he would have some nice vent windows.
I think you are looking for "perfect" and that's probably not going to happen.

By its nature, that plated zinc cast "pot" metal will pit, even if not exposed to road salt etc. Although road salt is going to make things worse.

I've never read a good reason for it happening.... I have read it's caused by lead in the alloy, or possibly some sort of capillary action bringing acid or other chemicals to the surface, but those are only theories and everyone seems to have a different one. Whatever the cause, the plating will just "pop" or blister and the result is pitting. Throw some road salt/winter/acid rain/whatever at it and it gets worse.

If it was me, I'd look for the best parts possible and send them out for plating. You may get some better parts by sourcing out west, but remember they've been exposed to the elements and it's going to be almost impossible to find perfect. Even NOS may have some pitting, but it may be minimal because of no exposure.

The bad thing about plating is the cost of repair. They build the surface up with copper and buff it down. Sometimes they can fill the pits. You need to have someone that is familiar with repair. Plating isn't that hard.... But you do have to know what you are doing as it's not forgiving and a mistake can destroy a part way beyond repair.

BTW, all the Muggy Weld videos you see are pretty much a scam.... Even if it worked, the melting point of pot metal is low and gives zero warning of when it's going to melt.

Forget about chrome "paint". From what I've seen, it really doesn't look like true chrome (regardless of what the guys selling it say) and longevity only seems to be a few years at best.

I have seen some pot metal repaired with epoxy and then powder coated with a chrome like powder. It's looks OK in pictures, but I've never really seen it in person. From the Phoenix Coatings website:
Phoenix Specialty Coatings ~ Exceptional Custom Powder Coating

DO YOU DO CHROME?
No.
  • However, there are Chrome Replica Powders available today that replicate a chrome look pretty well (see the examples elsewhere on the website).
  • Electing to use a chrome-replica powder versus polishing or a true, triple-plated rechroming service will provide a similar look from a few feet away while saving a substantial amount of money.
  • Please note though with current formulations (Sept. 2022), you will not get a true mirror-like reflective finish with chrome powder as you will with a well done 'real chrome' job though.
"How Chrome-y Is It?"
  • My ‘Standard Chick Answer’ is that you can kind of see yourself a bit in the powdered finish but you won’t be able to tell if you have a blackhead or not.
  • The mirror-like detail of real chrome is rarely replicated in chrome replica powders.
  • It can be a very affordable alternative for those who are unconcerned about having a mirror finish.

I hope this helps....

Back