SEAT BELT BOLTS...WHAT SIZE?

Don't take it any other but we're just concerned for your safety and the safety of your passengers. That's all. If this was a bolt hanging your alternator, it wouldn't get treated the same. Personally, I think a bolt will be OK, but I'm no engineer and I'll always come down on the side of recommending what looks to be the safest method. We'd all feel pretty bad if you or your passenger got hurt and something we said was "OK" wasn't "OK".

Myself, I know I've pretty much used up my allotted "dumb luck" a long time ago, so I take that into consideration.

I don't know why you'd disagree with me when I said the same thing about there being a reason why for them using special bolts, or was it my delivery that you disagree with? Either way, I'm cool with it.
Dam, I got a trifecta with that last post, cool!

was it my delivery that you disagree with?

I wasn't going to respond any farther, but since you ask, yes, it's your delivery. I don't understand why you need to be a dick about it.

Either way, I'm cool with it.

Frankly, I don't give a rat's *** if you are or aren't cool with it.

Want some advice? Just ignore the stuff you don't like and not worry about it.

I just take my 1/2" ratchet with two sockets. One for the old stuff which haz ah 11/16 hex head and a T-55 torques for the new stuff and make ah trip to my favorite Bone Yard for some "POCKET STUFF" DAH

Thanks for all the concern for my safety fellas, but I'm not worried. Here's what I did: I removed the stock bolts from the rear belts, and used them to attach the front belts. Then I sifted through my big pile of bolts, and found four grade 8 bolts and used those to re-attach the rear belts. They ain't going nowhere, no how.

In an ironic twist of kharma, the bolt on the driver's belt (right side of that belt, transmission hump), evidently had been ground off for some reason. I inserted a screw extractor and attempted to back the stud out, but the bolt just spun, apparently the threads were stripped. What to do? There is a plate underneath at that hole with a nut welded to it that receives the seat belt bolt. The plate was large enough that I was able to drill a new hole in all layers of metal, and then I used a Grade 8 X 1/2" bolt to affix the belt flange. The 1/2" bolt is larger than the stock 7/16 bolt, and threadlocker was applied. SO, the "weak" link in the seat belts on the car is now on the driver's side. So yes, if I've made an egregious and capricious and flagrantly irresponsible modification, it will be yours truly that hits the windshield first. But don't worry, it ain't gonna happen, no way, no how.

But I am sorry if I stoked some unpleasantness among you gents, I just wanted to know the size of the bolt.

Problem is one of a bunch of old farts with nothing to keep their minds busy! :lol:

Worrying about grade 5 vs grade 8 is really silly, if your crash is hard enough to damage either, you've got much bigger problems to deal with.

Drive safe!:steering:

Thanks for all the concern for my safety fellas, but I'm not worried. Here's what I did: I removed the stock bolts from the rear belts, and used them to attach the front belts. Then I sifted through my big pile of bolts, and found four grade 8 bolts and used those to re-attach the rear belts. They ain't going nowhere, no how.

In an ironic twist of kharma, the bolt on the driver's belt (right side of that belt, transmission hump), evidently had been ground off for some reason. I inserted a screw extractor and attempted to back the stud out, but the bolt just spun, apparently the threads were stripped. What to do? There is a plate underneath at that hole with a nut welded to it that receives the seat belt bolt. The plate was large enough that I was able to drill a new hole in all layers of metal, and then I used a Grade 8 X 1/2" bolt to affix the belt flange. The 1/2" bolt is larger than the stock 7/16 bolt, and threadlocker was applied. SO, the "weak" link in the seat belts on the car is now on the driver's side. So yes, if I've made an egregious and capricious and flagrantly irresponsible modification, it will be yours truly that hits the windshield first. But don't worry, it ain't gonna happen, no way, no how.

But I am sorry if I stoked some unpleasantness among you gents, I just wanted to know the size of the bolt.

Whatever..... I just hope you don't have loved ones riding along with those home depot bolts.

FWIW, some of us, like myself spent 20+ years in insurance claims and have seen the photos of the heads of dead people sticking through the windshield of a vehicle because of a seat belt failure. I know someone who was seriously hurt last year because the seat belt tensioner in late model Chrysler 300 failed.

I am infinitely more worried about the idiots looking at their I-Phones than I am about my 1/2" Grade-8 bolt failing. And, the car only has lap belts, and no shoulder belts...what about that?? And, just a final note, none of the bolts came from Home Depot. Now stop bothering me, sorry I asked.

Read my original post, I only asked what size. I didn't need all the Chicken-Little sky is falling stuff.

Well, with an attitude like that maybe the next time you post a question you’ll find that nobody will bother to comment.

I would've tried using some leverage on the bolt while twisting it to see if it'd catch and get it that way, but to late now! Smart choice on swappin out bolts with the backseat, why didn't I think of that?

Fugetaboutit!
Good thing i don't own an i-phone
Don't feel bad, neither do I!

As an aside to all this: If there was ever an accident where people were injured (God forbid!), the insurance companies will look at everything. If the seat belt bolts are incorrect, you could end up in a legal world of hurt - especially if the correct bolts are available. Just sayin'.

the insurance companies will look at everything
No they don't.
I refuse to believe that.
The adjusters are usually contract people and every one of them I have seen are lazy as crap.
Tally up the parts after a simple visual and get paid.
Cannot believe one of them would crawl under a car in the mud of the tow lot to check if the seat belt bolts are OEM.
That's liberal alarmist talk.

No they don't.
Cannot believe one of them would crawl under a car in the mud of the tow lot to check if the seat belt bolts are OEM.
That's liberal alarmist talk.

That's right, you wouldn't want him to get oil on his tie do you?

Back