Seat belt question

Joseph James

Reaction score
My Fury has a lap and shoulder belt. Someone told me you can use both. I thought it was one of the other. How does it work? Thanks.

Use either the seat belt alone, or use both.

The shoulder belt should have it's own buckle that has a male part coming up from the floor, bolted to the center "hump" and a female buckle coming down from the roof.

Take a look in the body section of your FSM for specifics.

I don't recall exactly how but they hook together just before the buckle.
They don't hook together in the earlier shoulder belt car (1968 up) Around 72 or 73, (maybe 71?), they went to a different style where the shoulder belt clipped on the male part of the buckle.

Use the lap belt--PLEASE! Use the shoulder belt to keep the po-po's at bay since they do not know old cars did not have shoulder belts.

The 68 C driver's seatbelt (from the floor) should have a male and female buckle.
The male end is for the shoulder belt. The female buckle is for the lap.
I never used the shoulder belt,just the lap belt by choice.
Shoulder belts were an option on 68 model C bodies and the lap belts for cars without shoulder belts are different compared to those who did order them.
BTW,center front and rear seat belts were optional too!!
IIRC 1968 the Feds made shoulder belts law (but still were in two parts) and by 1974 one piece/ three point belts were law.
My 1973 Plymouth wagon had shoulder belts but still separate from lap belts.
I did get pulled over one time but when the officer saw that I was still snapped in my lapbelt he let me go..
Not seeing the shoulder belt prompted the stop.

They don't hook together in the earlier shoulder belt car (1968 up) Around 72 or 73, (maybe 71?), they went to a different style where the shoulder belt clipped on the male part of the buckle.
Yes,my 73 on the male end has a hook for the shoulder belt.

Use the lap belt--PLEASE! Use the shoulder belt to keep the po-po's at bay since they do not know old cars did not have shoulder belts.

The 68 C driver's seatbelt (from the floor) should have a male and female buckle.
The male end is for the shoulder belt. The female buckle is for the lap.
I never used the shoulder belt,just the lap belt by choice.
Shoulder belts were an option on 68 model C bodies and the lap belts for cars without shoulder belts are different compared to those who did order them.
BTW,center front and rear seat belts were optional too!!
IIRC 1968 the Feds made shoulder belts law (but still were in two parts) and by 1974 one piece/ three point belts were law.
My 1973 Plymouth wagon had shoulder belts but still separate from lap belts.
I did get pulled over one time but when the officer saw that I was still snapped in my lapbelt he let me go..
Not seeing the shoulder belt prompted the stop.
My car does have a male/female buckle set in the center side. By your description, I think I understand how to use it now. Passenger side has same. Thanks much.

it also has a single buckle in center for 3rd person.

My Fury has a lap and shoulder belt. Someone told me you can use both. I thought it was one of the other. How does it work? Thanks.
My 1969 Dart had separate lap and shoulder belts, so that must have been an early design. There was a separate latch for each on the seat side, as I recall. The shoulder belt had a clip at the top so you could keep it secured up there on the headliner. That is likely where most people left them, since it was hard enough to get people then to even use the lap belt. Even as late as 1978 I had passengers ridicule me for using a seatbelt. One was a girl on a one-time only date (not marrying a loser). I recall people bragging about buying a new car and immediately cutting off the seat-belts. I'm guessing some of them didn't live to reproduce, which might have improved our country's genetic stock.

Not to steal the thread but on the 67's where do the outside front belts hook to the floor. I found the ones on the hump because the service manuel was clear but on the ones by the doors the picture they direct you to is behind the rear seat. I know that what they are showing you is how it is bolted Down.

Attachments

• seat belt furyPDF File.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 176
I think 67 is the same as 66. They have a special bolt that mounts to a welded nut in the rocker panel. (see "View in Circle z" Figure 72 in your attachment. May not be visible if the carpet has been replaced)

Back