Seat Cover for a 77 Newport

Pclancy

Reaction score
Gentlemen:

Pleased to report that my Canadian 77 Newport runs strong and is (almost) a daily driver.
It's the only the only such vehicle in Washington DC, I am sure.

Question: My Newport has the standard brocade (green) cloth seats, and I use a blanket to cover the seat and protect it. But is there a better solution? The front seat is a bench, with a flip down arm rest, and is not power.

Anyone know of a company that sells a seat cover for this particular seat? I am really only interested in the front seat, as I rarely have people in the back. The upholsetry is in pristine condition and I want to keep it that way.

Thanks for your collective wisdom.

Peter

Unfortunately....Formal's aren't important enough to have any seats repopped. Only thing you can do is find a donor car or find an upholster shop. JC Whitney and others are generic seat covers that don't fit properly but would be better than nothing at all.

BTW, does your Newport interior look like this? This is my 78 Newport.

DSC02971.jpg

DSC02973.jpg

He's looking to protect, not replace.

Whitney used to sell good-fit covers, but to be fair I haven't bought anything from them in years. Their headliner for my '61 Imperial LeBaron was very good.

Unfortunately....Formal's aren't important enough to have any seats repopped. Only thing you can do is find a donor car or find an upholster shop. JC Whitney and others are generic seat covers that don't fit properly but would be better than nothing at all.

BTW, does your Newport interior look like this? This is my 78 Newport.

View attachment 166521

View attachment 166522
My interior is not an exact match...the brocade pattern on the seats is different and the door inserts are as well. But same general color!

My Newport has the standard brocade (green) cloth seats, and I use a blanket to cover the seat and protect it. But is there a better solution? (...) Anyone know of a company that sells a seat cover for this particular seat?

Peter, did you ever find a solution? The black vinyl on my '70 'vert is in really good shape, but it will get hot in the summer. Towels should work, but let me know if you did find a company.

Peter, did you ever find a solution? The black vinyl on my '70 'vert is in really good shape, but it will get hot in the summer. Towels should work, but let me know if you did find a company.
I did, it's not perfect (uni-size large) but it fully protects the seat. Basically it's a canvas like cover, built for wide bench seats, with elastic bands in the back and underneath that hold it place. Little do-dads that you slip between the seat and and the seat back as well. Waterproof, great for dogs with muddy paws. Easy to clean. It wasn't too expensive, like 40-60$. Again, this cover is not elegant; it does not match the color of the interior; it does not fit perfectly; and I will need to get my wife to modify it to allow me to lower the hand rest. But I like it. My precious pristine upholstery is now fully protected. Let me know and I'll research the company that sold it to me and send you the link. They have two colors--a khaki color and a gray color.

I did, it's not perfect (uni-size large) but it fully protects the seat. Basically it's a canvas like cover, built for wide bench seats, with elastic bands in the back and underneath that hold it place. Little do-dads that you slip between the seat and and the seat back as well. Waterproof, great for dogs with muddy paws. Easy to clean. It wasn't too expensive, like 40-60$. Again, this cover is not elegant; it does not match the color of the interior; it does not fit perfectly; and I will need to get my wife to modify it to allow me to lower the hand rest. But I like it. My precious pristine upholstery is now fully protected. Let me know and I'll research the company that sold it to me and send you the link. They have two colors--a khaki color and a gray color.

The best way to preserve seats? Don't wear jeans. They're like sandpaper, and if that wasn't enough, they leave their dye on light colors.

I've been meaning to buy a seatcover to protect the pristine velour of my '76 RMB that's a "frequent" driver since late 2016. I still have gotten around to it, but the seat still looks great.

I hate jeans. Hot, scratchy, ugly. Take on smells. Hippies made them acceptable, another reason I don't like them.

The best way to preserve seats? Don't wear jeans. (...) they leave their dye on light colors.

Agree.

I hate jeans. Hot, scratchy, ugly. Take on smells.

Respectfully disagree. That may have been true a couple of decades ago, but these days if you spring for the right pair of jeans then what you get is IMHO the most comfortable pair of pants one can wear -- by a mile. Some brands/models are still as uncomfortable as when I was a kid and hated them, but there is no need to buy those.

Last edited:
Back